This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thai Airways is instituting a rule for passengers in business class on some of its aircraft. The Nation Thailand is reporting that passengers with waist sizes larger than 56 inches cannot fly in business class on the airline’s new Boeing 787-9.
Thai Airways received two 787-9 Dreamliners in September 2017 from AerCap, an airline leasing company.
Flight Lieutenant Pratthana Pattanasirim, Thai’s director of security and flight standard division, told The Nation that new seat belts and an airbag system were installed in business class on the -9s, in accordance with US Federal Aviation Administration safety regulations.
Thai publications had been running stories about the airline banning overweight passengers from flying on the airline. But, in reality its because the seat belt contains an airbag — the restraint can’t be extended anymore than 56 inches.
Pattanasirim added that the new business class seatbelts couldn’t accommodate adults flying with children on their lap either. Thai’s 787-9s feature 30 business class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration.
The FAA downgraded Thai Airways’ safety rating from a category 1 to a category 2 in 2015 after the UN raised a red flag over safety issues. The International Civil Aviation Organization removed the red flag in October 2017, prompting Thai to considering a return to the US.
Featured image by Thai Airways / The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees