Thai Airways Institutes ‘Waist Requirements’ on Its New 787s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thai Airways is instituting a rule for passengers in business class on some of its aircraft. The Nation Thailand is reporting that passengers with waist sizes larger than 56 inches cannot fly in business class on the airline’s new Boeing 787-9.
Thai Airways received two 787-9 Dreamliners in September 2017 from AerCap, an airline leasing company.
Flight Lieutenant Pratthana Pattanasirim, Thai’s director of security and flight standard division, told The Nation that new seat belts and an airbag system were installed in business class on the -9s, in accordance with US Federal Aviation Administration safety regulations.
Thai publications had been running stories about the airline banning overweight passengers from flying on the airline. But, in reality its because the seat belt contains an airbag — the restraint can’t be extended anymore than 56 inches.
Pattanasirim added that the new business class seatbelts couldn’t accommodate adults flying with children on their lap either. Thai’s 787-9s feature 30 business class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration.
The FAA downgraded Thai Airways’ safety rating from a category 1 to a category 2 in 2015 after the UN raised a red flag over safety issues. The International Civil Aviation Organization removed the red flag in October 2017, prompting Thai to considering a return to the US.
Featured image by Thai Airways / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees