Meet The Voice Behind Hundreds Of Airport Announcements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s one of the most recognizable voices in the world. Even non-frequent fliers would probably remember hearing the voice while traveling. It’s the voice in the airport that tells you to watch your bags or that your flight is delayed. You’ve probably never given much thought to the person behind the famous voice. No, it’s not a robot or movie star making these announcements, but rather a 69-year-old woman named Carolyn Hopkins.
Hopkins is heard by millions of people in hospitals, airports and train stations around the world, according to ABC 7. Her voice has been used at more than 250 airports around the world since the 1980s.
For more than 40 years, Hopkins has recorded her messages, and today she records from the comfort of her home in Northern Maine. After she does a recording, she sends her announcement to the ATLAS IED, a Kentucky-based global electronics manufacturer. Then, her voice is broadcast around the globe.
Today, her voice is one of the most distinct and recognizable voices and is heard by millions of travelers every day.
So, the next time you hear an announcement on a plane or train, you can match the face with the famous voice.
Featured image by Baona// Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.