Lufthansa Uses New Tech to Board an Airbus A380 in 20 Minutes at LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever flown a major international carrier, especially when departing from an overseas hub, you’ve probably seen how much more efficiently they manage to get passengers on board. I’ve witnessed international airlines board a Boeing 747 more quickly than US carriers can get folks on a 737 — it’s excruciating to watch how poorly it’s done here.
While getting passengers in their seats quickly often seems to be the holdup, processing customers at the gate can cause delays as well — especially when passports need to be checked individually for an international flight. Lufthansa’s new biometric boarding process has successfully eliminated that latter step at one major US airport, hopefully paving the way for a global expansion.
What stands out most about Lufthansa’s LAX trial is a staggering stat: the carrier managed to get all 350 passengers onboard an Airbus A380 in about 20 minutes. That’s very impressive for a flight originating in the US!
Lufthansa’s biometric boarding employs facial recognition, a technology in use by some other carriers overseas. Unlike Delta’s fingerprint boarding, which requires a CLEAR subscription, all passengers can use Lufthansa’s system, which matches faces with passport photographs stored in the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) database. Faces are matched to the flight manifest, so passengers don’t even need to show a boarding pass at the gate.
Lufthansa stated that customers have responded positively to the new service, and an expansion is currently in the works, including a future rollout to additional gateways in the US.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees