Lufthansa Uses New Tech to Board an Airbus A380 in 20 Minutes at LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever flown a major international carrier, especially when departing from an overseas hub, you’ve probably seen how much more efficiently they manage to get passengers on board. I’ve witnessed international airlines board a Boeing 747 more quickly than US carriers can get folks on a 737 — it’s excruciating to watch how poorly it’s done here.
While getting passengers in their seats quickly often seems to be the holdup, processing customers at the gate can cause delays as well — especially when passports need to be checked individually for an international flight. Lufthansa’s new biometric boarding process has successfully eliminated that latter step at one major US airport, hopefully paving the way for a global expansion.
What stands out most about Lufthansa’s LAX trial is a staggering stat: the carrier managed to get all 350 passengers onboard an Airbus A380 in about 20 minutes. That’s very impressive for a flight originating in the US!
Lufthansa’s biometric boarding employs facial recognition, a technology in use by some other carriers overseas. Unlike Delta’s fingerprint boarding, which requires a CLEAR subscription, all passengers can use Lufthansa’s system, which matches faces with passport photographs stored in the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) database. Faces are matched to the flight manifest, so passengers don’t even need to show a boarding pass at the gate.
Lufthansa stated that customers have responded positively to the new service, and an expansion is currently in the works, including a future rollout to additional gateways in the US.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.