Eat Scorpions and Crickets at Bugs Cafe in Siem Reap, Cambodia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bugs Cafe is an “insect tapas restaurant and cocktail bar,” the first of its kind in Siem Reap, Cambodia. What does that mean, exactly? The name says it all: you can drink cocktails and eat insects.
These protein-packed critters can be eaten à la carte or gourmet style, mixed into your favorite comfort foods.
Try tarantula donuts, the scorpion and papaya salad or the cricket silkworm wok. If you really want to try out the bugs but your traveling companion isn’t feeling as adventurous, all menu items can be prepared sans insects — though where’s the fun in that?
Although the cocktails are named in conjunction with the insect theme (who wants to down a Black Widow?), they are actually all insect-free, so you don’t have to worry about choking on a surprise cricket as you drink your rum.
Before visiting, you can take a quiz on the website that will test your edible insect knowledge. You’ll learn fun facts, like that 1,900 insect species are edible and that two billion people around the world eat insects on a regular basis.
Siem Reap isn’t known for bug eating alone, of course. It’s also home to the world-famous temple complex of Angkor Wat.
The largest religious monument in the world, this impressive temple complex is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that you absolutely can’t miss when visiting Siem Reap. Passes are available to explore Angkor Wat for one, three or seven days, and you may recall seeing the famous Ta Prohm temple in the movie Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie.
Although you shouldn’t miss seeing the sun rise over the famous temples with all the other tourists, try to get off the beaten path to see some of the more obscure and less popular temples. When you’re exploring these ruins, climbing over the rocks and through the jungle without another tourist in sight is an unforgettable moments!
Where To Stay
Although Le Meridien Siem Reap, a Category 2 property is a little further away from center of Siem Reap, it is on the way to the Angkor Wat temples, making it the perfect, quiet spot for those wanting to to escape from the busy town and explore the ruins. Rates start as low as $90 or 4,000 Starpoints per night.
In contrast, the Park Hyatt Siem Reap is located near Pub Street in Siem Reap, close to all the action and more importantly, a one-minute walk to Bugs Cafe. Rates start as low as $153 or 15,000 World of Hyatt points.
If you’re coming from the US, you can fly to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore first. Then, you can hop on a short haul flight to Siem Reap (REP). If you’re on a budget, try flying AirAsia, a low-cost carrier, or Bangkok Airways, a “boutique’ airline.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.