Eat Scorpions and Crickets at Bugs Cafe in Siem Reap, Cambodia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bugs Cafe is an “insect tapas restaurant and cocktail bar,” the first of its kind in Siem Reap, Cambodia. What does that mean, exactly? The name says it all: you can drink cocktails and eat insects.
These protein-packed critters can be eaten à la carte or gourmet style, mixed into your favorite comfort foods.
Try tarantula donuts, the scorpion and papaya salad or the cricket silkworm wok. If you really want to try out the bugs but your traveling companion isn’t feeling as adventurous, all menu items can be prepared sans insects — though where’s the fun in that?
Although the cocktails are named in conjunction with the insect theme (who wants to down a Black Widow?), they are actually all insect-free, so you don’t have to worry about choking on a surprise cricket as you drink your rum.
Before visiting, you can take a quiz on the website that will test your edible insect knowledge. You’ll learn fun facts, like that 1,900 insect species are edible and that two billion people around the world eat insects on a regular basis.
Siem Reap isn’t known for bug eating alone, of course. It’s also home to the world-famous temple complex of Angkor Wat.
The largest religious monument in the world, this impressive temple complex is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that you absolutely can’t miss when visiting Siem Reap. Passes are available to explore Angkor Wat for one, three or seven days, and you may recall seeing the famous Ta Prohm temple in the movie Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie.
Although you shouldn’t miss seeing the sun rise over the famous temples with all the other tourists, try to get off the beaten path to see some of the more obscure and less popular temples. When you’re exploring these ruins, climbing over the rocks and through the jungle without another tourist in sight is an unforgettable moments!
Where To Stay
Although Le Meridien Siem Reap, a Category 2 property is a little further away from center of Siem Reap, it is on the way to the Angkor Wat temples, making it the perfect, quiet spot for those wanting to to escape from the busy town and explore the ruins. Rates start as low as $90 or 4,000 Starpoints per night.
In contrast, the Park Hyatt Siem Reap is located near Pub Street in Siem Reap, close to all the action and more importantly, a one-minute walk to Bugs Cafe. Rates start as low as $153 or 15,000 World of Hyatt points.
If you’re coming from the US, you can fly to Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur or Singapore first. Then, you can hop on a short haul flight to Siem Reap (REP). If you’re on a budget, try flying AirAsia, a low-cost carrier, or Bangkok Airways, a “boutique’ airline.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees