This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi Prestige Card
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy 24 hour cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Fantastic business-class fares to South America on Avianca are back, as well as some equally as great fares with Aeromexico! For the standard cost of an economy flight, you can fly in business class on Colombian airline Avianca or Mexican airline Aeromexico to several destinations throughout Mexico, Central and South America. Even better, some of these options are in lie-flat business class.
You don’t need any tricks to get these prices, just use Google Flights to set the dates you want, then book on Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Make sure to install Legroom for Google Flights browser extension to easily see which options are lie-flat.
Note: We generally recommend booking directly with the airline to earn 5x Membership Rewards points on the The Platinum Card from American Express. However, we can’t make this recommendation when booking with Avianca. I booked a flight directly with Avianca in December 2017, cancelled within 24 hours and requested a refund. Avianca has repeatedly denied the request, which has necessitated an official Department of Transportation complaint. So, caveat emptor.
Airline: Aeromexico, Avianca
Routes: EWR/MIA/JFK/FLL/MCO to MEX/BOG/GYE/SAL/UIO
Cost: $578+ round-trip in business class
Dates: April-June, September-January 2019
Booking Link: Expedia
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York’s Kennedy (JFK) to San Salvador (SAL) for $578 round-trip nonstop:
New York’s Kennedy (JFK) to Mexico City (MEX) for $586 round-trip nonstop:
Newark (EWR) to Bogota (BOG) for $648 round-trip:
Miami (MIA) to Bogota (BOG) for $693 round-trip:
New York’s Kennedy (JFK) to Guayaquil, Ecuador (GYE) for $711 round-trip:
New York’s Kennedy (JFK) to Quito, Ecuador (UIO) for $723 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Bogota (BOG) for $754 round-trip nonstop:
New York’s Kennedy (JFK) to Bogota (BOG) for $769 round-trip:
Orlando (MCO) to Bogota (BOG) for $854 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
This is one of the top premium cards out there since you earn 3x on all travel (excluding $300 travel credit) and dining and have access to great perks like a $300 travel credit each cardmember year, 50% more value when you redeem points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and you get elite travel benefits like Global Entry application fee rebate, Priority Pass Select and special rental car privileges.
- Earn 50K bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named "Best Premium Travel Credit Card" for 2018 by MONEY® Magazine
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®