AA Flight 930 Canceled After Pilot Attacks Ground Crew Member
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While travelers in the Northeast are stranded from Winter Storm Quinn, American Airlines passengers to the south found themselves delayed over something a little more heated.
According to local officials, the pilot and the operations agent got into a heated disagreement over the positioning of the jet bridge. The pilot stated that the fixture for the jet bridge entrance was in the wrong position, but the local agent averred that the connection was “correctly aligned.”
From there, the situation quickly escalated after some verbal back-and-forth when the operations agent “inadvertently” stepped on the pilot’s foot. The pilot allegedly pushed the agent and grabbed her by the neck, according to eyewitnesses, although the pilot claims that she tried to punch him first.
The flight was immediately canceled, and American offered passengers meal vouchers and hotel stays as staff hurried to re-route them onto other flights leaving São Paulo. According to the Daily Mail, passengers furiously complained to airline agents over both the delay as well as the lack of information.
Brazilian police confiscated the 32-year AA veteran pilot’s passport, and he was charged with “offending the bodily integrity or health of another,” according to the Daily Mail. Although the pilot was released, he is due to appear at a special criminal court in Guarulhos before the end of this week. If convicted, the pilot could face a prison sentence of 3-12 months.
American Airlines released an apology statement after the incident, saying: “Last night, before boarding AA 930 American Airlines flight from São Paulo (GRU) to Miami (MIA), two crew members were engaged in a discussion in the tunnel that connects a platform to the plane. The authorities are now in charge of the case and providing support to staff members. This is a legal investigation and we are cooperating fully with the authorities. Passengers are being accommodated on other flights throughout the day. American Airlines has provided hotel accommodations and meal vouchers. We apologize to our customers for the problem.”
Featured photo courtesy of American Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees