This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board a United Airlines flight bound for Hawaii witnessed a shocking sight on Tuesday when an engine cowling fell off in-flight.
United Flight 1175 from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL) was forced to make an emergency landing at HNL when the covering of the right-hand engine fell off. About 35 minutes before UA1175 was set to land at HNL, passengers reported hearing a loud bang. One passenger was able to capture video of the exposed engine:
Immediately afterwards, crew sent out a distress call and made the emergency landing at HNL. One passenger described the experience as “the scariest flight in my life,” with severe shaking on the descent into HNL.
“United flight 1175 traveling to Honolulu from San Francisco landed safely after the pilots called for an emergency landing because of a loss of the engine cowling (the covering of the engine),” United said in a statement. “Our pilots followed all necessary protocols to safely land the aircraft. The aircraft taxied to the gate and passengers deplaned normally.”
The Boeing 777-222 — tail number N773UA — is one of the oldest 777s out there, only the fourth off the production line. It was delivered to United in 1994, according to Airfleets. The aircraft is equipped with two Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines, and like all twin jets, is designed to fly with a single engine if need be.
Upon landing at HNL, aircraft rescue and fire crew met the airliner. United said that it is fully cooperating with investigations by the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees