Stewart International Airport Gets Expansion, Name Change Approved
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/23/18: The Stewart International Airport finally has a new name: New York Stewart International Airport. The name change is a move made in the hope of luring travelers to/from the airport, which is near Newburgh, NY, when considering NYC flight options.
On February 15, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey authorized a $30 million expansion to Stewart International Airport (SWF), which would add nearly 20,000 square-feet of space to the existing terminal, including a new US Custom and Border Protection facility.
“Expanding the terminal supports Governor Cuomo’s vision of an airport that increases flight activity and passenger volume, and provides the level of service and amenities that should be expected of a world-class facility,” said Jeffrey Lynford, Board Vice-Chairman, in a press release.
Currently, the Hudson Valley airport lacks a dedicated area to screen passengers from international flights. As of now, the airport uses a moveable wall to section off part of the terminal and separate domestic and international passengers.
Last year, nearly 450,000 commercial airline passengers used Stewart International Airport (SWF), which includes 141,000 international passengers.The new project will provide a dedicated federal inspection area that can process up to 400 international passengers per hour, as stated by the Port Authority.
Joseph Sitt, chairman of the Global Gateway Alliance, expressed support for the proposal in advance of the Port Authority meeting last Thursday.
“The bottom line is New York has the most congested and delayed airports in the country year in and year out, and it’s not going to change without new capacity,” Sitt said in a statement. “That will take proposals like the Stewart International Airport expansion along with better transportation, a real and sustained commitment to marketing, and, most of all, more flights and services to attract passengers. Otherwise, this will be just another plan that prolongs the airport’s life, but falls far short of truly serving our region and our economy.”
In addition to the expansion, the Port Authority Commissioners also approved a change in name of Stewart International Airport to something else — although it hasn’t decided yet to what. The targeted completion date for the construction project is 2020.
H/T: USA Today
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees