Southwest Raised Upgraded Boarding Fees — But Won’t Say Where
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest has increased the fee for upgraded boarding for some of its flights. The fee is normally $30 or $40 each way, depending on the flight. Now, the airline has added a $50 possibility as well.
The airline also sent this statement to TPG:
“Every few years, we review the price of our services in order to align with market and operational conditions as well as uphold the quality of our offerings. Southwest has increased the price of purchasing Upgraded Boarding to $50 in a handful of our markets while others remain $30 or $40 for the service.”
Upgraded boarding is an add-on option that gives Southwest customers spots in the airline’s coveted A1-A15 boarding positions, which are first to board and get first crack at choosing a seat. These positions are sometimes reserved for Business Select passengers, but on flights with no Business Select, A1-A15 are offered as an upgraded boarding add-on.
Southwest, known for its unassigned seats, also offers EarlyBird Check-In as an option for a shot at a better boarding position. That $15 fee alone made the airline $358 million last year. But, EarlyBirds are not always guaranteed a position in the A boarding group because Business Select passengers and frequent fliers with status board first.
The new fee is now listed on the airline’s fee chart.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.