Southwest Raised Upgraded Boarding Fees — But Won’t Say Where
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest has increased the fee for upgraded boarding for some of its flights. The fee is normally $30 or $40 each way, depending on the flight. Now, the airline has added a $50 possibility as well.
The airline also sent this statement to TPG:
“Every few years, we review the price of our services in order to align with market and operational conditions as well as uphold the quality of our offerings. Southwest has increased the price of purchasing Upgraded Boarding to $50 in a handful of our markets while others remain $30 or $40 for the service.”
Upgraded boarding is an add-on option that gives Southwest customers spots in the airline’s coveted A1-A15 boarding positions, which are first to board and get first crack at choosing a seat. These positions are sometimes reserved for Business Select passengers, but on flights with no Business Select, A1-A15 are offered as an upgraded boarding add-on.
Southwest, known for its unassigned seats, also offers EarlyBird Check-In as an option for a shot at a better boarding position. That $15 fee alone made the airline $358 million last year. But, EarlyBirds are not always guaranteed a position in the A boarding group because Business Select passengers and frequent fliers with status board first.
The new fee is now listed on the airline’s fee chart.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.