Qantas Confirms Move to Terminal 8 at New York-JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Great news for Qantas passengers flying from New York’s JFK: Qantas is switching terminals from JFK’s Oneworld-heavy Terminal 7 to the primarily-American Airlines Terminal 8. A Qantas spokesperson confirmed to The Points Guy that the move will occur on April 3, 2018.
Currently, Qantas only operates a once-daily flight in and out of JFK — although it hopes to launch more flights to New York City if a new long-range aircraft is built. Qantas’ sole flight is between JFK and Los Angeles (LAX) using a Boeing 747-400. This flight will switch to the airline’s brand new Boeing 787-9 on September 1, 2018. Unfortunately for those that would like to try out Qantas’ 787-9, you aren’t able to just book this JFK-LAX segment alone. Instead, you have to book the flight through LAX onward to Qantas destinations Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL) or Brisbane (BNE).
This terminal move is a positive for those passengers beginning their Qantas journey in New York. The first and most practical benefit is going to be easier connections from or to American Airlines flights, which all depart out of Terminal 8.
And, Qantas moving to Terminal 8 is especially great news for Qantas premium cabin flyers and Oneworld elites. While you won’t be able to check bags for Qantas flights there, qualifying passengers can effectively skip ahead of the security lines by using AA’s Flagship First Check-In.
Lounge-wise, you’ll be trading the dated-but-decent British Airways lounges in JFK’s Terminal 7 — which are supposed to be upgraded eventually — for American Airlines’ sleek new Flagship Lounge.
For Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard cardholders, this move will mean that you can visit one of American Airlines’ two Admirals Clubs in Terminal 8 before your flight.
The good news also extends to Priority Pass members. There are no Priority Pass lounges in Terminal 7, but members can score up to $56 worth of free food and drinks at Bobby Van’s Steakhouse in Terminal 8.
This post has been updated to remove the reference to Flagship First Class Dining as Qantas doesn’t operate its 747-400 with first class from New York’s JFK and Qantas’ new 787-9 doesn’t have a first class cabin either.
Featured image of JFK’s Terminal 8 Flagship Lounge terrace taken by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees