Atlanta Airport Offers Nonstop Flights to Wakanda
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been dreaming about visiting the enchanted nation of Wakanda, now is your chance. Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL) is now offering nonstop flights to the Kingdom of Wakanda, the fictional East African nation at the center of Marvel’s Black Panther film.
The airport tweeted a photo on Monday of a digitally altered gate screen with a departure flight to the fictional country.
— Atlanta Airport (@ATLairport) February 19, 2018
Although the ATL flight isn’t really going to Wakanda, Black Panther fans were still excited about the airport’s homage to film. Since its posting, the photo has been shared across social media platforms and has reached thousands of people, including one of the film’s stars, Lupita Nyong’o. Nyong’o even played along and inquired about the in-flight entertainment.
Apart from La Femme Nakia, what else is on the in-flight entertainment? T’Challa’s Angels, M’Baku To The Future, Shuri’s Gotta Have It, Killmonger Bill, W’Kabi In The Woods…?
— Lupita Nyong’o (@Lupita_Nyongo) February 20, 2018
Atlanta’s newly elected Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms even joined in on the fun and tweeted about why the busiest airport would offer a flight to such a special destination.
— Keisha Lance Bottoms (@KeishaBottoms) February 21, 2018
Given the film’s success and deep ties to Atlanta metro, it’s no surprise that Atlanta’s airport would offer “flights” to Wakanda. Black Panther not only grossed more than $400 million worldwide over the Presidents’ Day weekend, but the film also has greatly contributed to Georgia’s film industry. Several locations around metro Atlanta were featured in the film, including the rock quarry at the Vulcan Materials Co. in Stockbridge, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The film also played a role in Georgia’s film industry by employing more than 3,100 people in the state, according toThe Atlanta Journal-Constitution
“We love keeping our customers engaged,” Hartsfield-Jackson’s Director of Policy and Communications Reese McCranie told AJC. “And it’s important for us to be part of the cultural conversation.” The airport’s social media team, which McCraine oversees, came up with the creative nod to the movie.
“We’re incredibly proud that Atlanta has such an important role in the film industry,” McCranie said.
Apparently, Orlando International airport had some fun, too, following the Black Panther movie success. MCO shared a photo of an airplane displaying a “Wakanda Air” and a black panther logo in an tweet on Tuesday. The tweet said “We’re delighted to announce the newest member of the MCO family – Wakanda Air! Offering daily nonstop flights to the beautiful nation of Wakanda.”
Featured image courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.