Atlanta Airport Offers Nonstop Flights to Wakanda
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been dreaming about visiting the enchanted nation of Wakanda, now is your chance. Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL) is now offering nonstop flights to the Kingdom of Wakanda, the fictional East African nation at the center of Marvel’s Black Panther film.
The airport tweeted a photo on Monday of a digitally altered gate screen with a departure flight to the fictional country.
— Atlanta Airport (@ATLairport) February 19, 2018
Although the ATL flight isn’t really going to Wakanda, Black Panther fans were still excited about the airport’s homage to film. Since its posting, the photo has been shared across social media platforms and has reached thousands of people, including one of the film’s stars, Lupita Nyong’o. Nyong’o even played along and inquired about the in-flight entertainment.
Apart from La Femme Nakia, what else is on the in-flight entertainment? T’Challa’s Angels, M’Baku To The Future, Shuri’s Gotta Have It, Killmonger Bill, W’Kabi In The Woods…?
— Lupita Nyong’o (@Lupita_Nyongo) February 20, 2018
Atlanta’s newly elected Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms even joined in on the fun and tweeted about why the busiest airport would offer a flight to such a special destination.
— Keisha Lance Bottoms (@KeishaBottoms) February 21, 2018
Given the film’s success and deep ties to Atlanta metro, it’s no surprise that Atlanta’s airport would offer “flights” to Wakanda. Black Panther not only grossed more than $400 million worldwide over the Presidents’ Day weekend, but the film also has greatly contributed to Georgia’s film industry. Several locations around metro Atlanta were featured in the film, including the rock quarry at the Vulcan Materials Co. in Stockbridge, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The film also played a role in Georgia’s film industry by employing more than 3,100 people in the state, according toThe Atlanta Journal-Constitution
“We love keeping our customers engaged,” Hartsfield-Jackson’s Director of Policy and Communications Reese McCranie told AJC. “And it’s important for us to be part of the cultural conversation.” The airport’s social media team, which McCraine oversees, came up with the creative nod to the movie.
“We’re incredibly proud that Atlanta has such an important role in the film industry,” McCranie said.
Apparently, Orlando International airport had some fun, too, following the Black Panther movie success. MCO shared a photo of an airplane displaying a “Wakanda Air” and a black panther logo in an tweet on Tuesday. The tweet said “We’re delighted to announce the newest member of the MCO family – Wakanda Air! Offering daily nonstop flights to the beautiful nation of Wakanda.”
Featured image courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees