This Beautiful Video Shows What It’s Like to Land a Boeing 777 in New York City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wondered what it’s like to be in the cockpit of a jumbo jet on approach to one of the busiest airports in the world? What type of controls are required? What do the pilots have to communicate to the air traffic control tower? How thorough is the systems check before landing?
A fascinating video inside the cockpit of an Air France 777-200 shows us what it’s like to land at New York’s JFK airport. The glimmering lights of NYC are visible on approach to the airport that saw over 450,000 flights in 2016. The hundreds of cockpit instruments, controls and gauges glow against the silhouettes of the pilots.
You can see the pilot setting the aircraft’s approach speed and hear the ATC’s radio communication about other inbound and outbound flights. Autopilot shows its impressive functionality as the aircraft guides itself towards JFK — neither of the pilots place their hands on the flight sticks.
As the widebody Boeing approaches runway 31R, the aircraft’s computer counts down the 777s altitude, eventually making a safe landing and taxiing towards a gate.
Featured image courtesy of High Pressure Aviation Films / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees