This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wondered what it’s like to be in the cockpit of a jumbo jet on approach to one of the busiest airports in the world? What type of controls are required? What do the pilots have to communicate to the air traffic control tower? How thorough is the systems check before landing?
A fascinating video inside the cockpit of an Air France 777-200 shows us what it’s like to land at New York’s JFK airport. The glimmering lights of NYC are visible on approach to the airport that saw over 450,000 flights in 2016. The hundreds of cockpit instruments, controls and gauges glow against the silhouettes of the pilots.
You can see the pilot setting the aircraft’s approach speed and hear the ATC’s radio communication about other inbound and outbound flights. Autopilot shows its impressive functionality as the aircraft guides itself towards JFK — neither of the pilots place their hands on the flight sticks.
As the widebody Boeing approaches runway 31R, the aircraft’s computer counts down the 777s altitude, eventually making a safe landing and taxiing towards a gate.
Featured image courtesy of High Pressure Aviation Films / YouTube.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees