This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wondered what it’s like to be in the cockpit of a jumbo jet on approach to one of the busiest airports in the world? What type of controls are required? What do the pilots have to communicate to the air traffic control tower? How thorough is the systems check before landing?
A fascinating video inside the cockpit of an Air France 777-200 shows us what it’s like to land at New York’s JFK airport. The glimmering lights of NYC are visible on approach to the airport that saw over 450,000 flights in 2016. The hundreds of cockpit instruments, controls and gauges glow against the silhouettes of the pilots.
You can see the pilot setting the aircraft’s approach speed and hear the ATC’s radio communication about other inbound and outbound flights. Autopilot shows its impressive functionality as the aircraft guides itself towards JFK — neither of the pilots place their hands on the flight sticks.
As the widebody Boeing approaches runway 31R, the aircraft’s computer counts down the 777s altitude, eventually making a safe landing and taxiing towards a gate.
Featured image courtesy of High Pressure Aviation Films / YouTube.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees