This Beautiful Video Shows What It’s Like to Land a Boeing 777 in New York City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ever wondered what it’s like to be in the cockpit of a jumbo jet on approach to one of the busiest airports in the world? What type of controls are required? What do the pilots have to communicate to the air traffic control tower? How thorough is the systems check before landing?
A fascinating video inside the cockpit of an Air France 777-200 shows us what it’s like to land at New York’s JFK airport. The glimmering lights of NYC are visible on approach to the airport that saw over 450,000 flights in 2016. The hundreds of cockpit instruments, controls and gauges glow against the silhouettes of the pilots.
You can see the pilot setting the aircraft’s approach speed and hear the ATC’s radio communication about other inbound and outbound flights. Autopilot shows its impressive functionality as the aircraft guides itself towards JFK — neither of the pilots place their hands on the flight sticks.
As the widebody Boeing approaches runway 31R, the aircraft’s computer counts down the 777s altitude, eventually making a safe landing and taxiing towards a gate.
Featured image courtesy of High Pressure Aviation Films / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.