Major Ice Storm to Affect Texas Airport Hubs Tuesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Millions of Texas residents are waking up Monday morning to find themselves under winter storm warnings, with up to two inches of ice and snow forecast to wreak havoc on travel to and from the state Monday evening and Tuesday.
The two major airport hubs in the state, Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Houston Intercontinental (IAH), are outside of the main warning area and are currently only under winter weather advisories. However, any winter precipitation could have a large impact on flights at these busy airports due to their tight scheduling and lack of large-scale de-icing equipment.
As of 9:30am Central Time onMonday morning, only United has released travel waivers for Texas airports. This waiver allows flexible travelers to rebook flights for a later date through January 20 or to rebook their flights to connect through a hub other than Houston.
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
- Travel date: January 16
- Airports covered: Austin, TX (AUS); Dallas, TX (DAL); Dallas, TX (DFW); Houston, TX (HOU); Houston, TX (IAH); San Antonio, TX (SAT)
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: January 20
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: January 20
- Travel date: January 16
- Airports covered: Houston, TX (IAH); Austin, TX (AUS); San Antonio, TX (SAT)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before January 20, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
We will update this post as other airlines issue travel waivers for Texas.
Featured image by Fort Worth Star-Telegram / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees