Germany and Singapore Vie for the Most Powerful Passport in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to the Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index, Germany has the world’s most powerful passport. The ranking is based on data from the International Air Transport Association, which maintains the world’s largest and most comprehensive database of travel information.
Germany reclaimed the top spot in that ranking after Singapore was ranked the most powerful passport in October 2017 by a separate passport ranking index by Arton Capital. Germans enjoy visa-free access to 177 countries compared to Singapore’s 176.
Dr. Christian H. Kälin, Group Chairman of Henley & Partners, says the need for visa-free access is greater than ever: “Across the economic spectrum, individuals want to transcend the constraints imposed on them by their country of origin and access business, financial, career, and lifestyle opportunities on a global scale. The Henley Passport Index shows individuals where they lie on the spectrum of global mobility, revealing the strength that their passport has in relation to other passports.”
Of the 199 countries featured on the index, 143 saw improvement in their rank over the past year, while seven (Azerbaijan, New Zealand, Antigua and Barbuda, Algeria, Laos, North Korea and Syria) saw visa-free access reduced. Among the top climbers were Georgia (99 visa-free countries, up from 84), Ukraine (114, up from 100) and China (60, up from 50).
The US holds the fifth place in the 2018 edition of the index along with Ireland, Portugal and South Korea. The least powerful passport is Afghanistan, which can only open up visa-free borders with 24 countries.
Here are some other highlights from the Henley Passport Index:
Featured Image by GettyImage//johannes86.
H/T Business Insider
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.