Elon Musk’s Plan to Fix LA Traffic Now Comes With a Map
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your name is the Boring Company, what you do is dig tunnels. If you are owned by Elon Musk, you’re probably also a company with grand ambitions. And that’s exactly what Musk’s Boring Company is, with its proposal to build a revolutionary mass transit system to help solve the giant problem of traffic in Los Angeles. We knew about the proposal, but now we know the routing of the tunnel and we have seen an official plan for an underground transportation beneath Culver City, California.
On Monday, Boring Company’s Operation Coordinator Jehn Balajadia presented the plan to the Culver City Council. “The purpose of Boring Company is to alleviate soul-destroying traffic and augment public transit,” said Balajadia at the meeting.
During the 45-minute presentation Balajadia revealed the plans for a 6.5 mile tunnel that would connect Los Angeles and Hawthorne, running beneath Culver City. The system would allow for cars or pedestrians to enter tubes where they would then be loaded onto “skates,” autonomous electric platforms that are whisked through the tunnels at a speeds of up to 150mph. Skates would either feature a pod that could hold eight to 16 pedestrians, or be empty to accommodate a car.
The tunnel is actually Boring Company’s second, but it will be the first that’s actually open to the public. In 2016 Musk acquired a tunnel boring machine and built a test mine under SpaceX’s headquarters in Hawthorne. The new tunnel would begin at the Space X headquarters, pass under Culver City and Sepulveda Boulevard and arrive somewhere in West LA. It would act more as a “proof of process” and could be used as a basis for future projects.
The Boring Company shared its Phase 1 (in red) and Phase 2 map (in blue) — revealing the potential areas that could see service by the futuristic system. The Boring Company notes that the map is just a concept, and not a “finalized alignment”.
Musk and his Boring Company are also in talks with the city of Chicago to build a similar system between downtown Chicago and O’Hare Airport (ORD).
The transportation system would be funded completely by the Boring Company and Balajadia said that the cost of use would be comparable to public transportation.
According to Bloomberg, city council members were optimistic but also expressed concern about the feasibility of the project and the competition with public transit.
“This is really seductive,” said council member Meghan Sahli-Wells. “It looks super sexy and super easy, but it’s half baked from a public perspective.”
The company still needs to apply for a permit, and then be approved by Culver City, before any construction begins, so it’s a long way off. It has also applied for, but has yet to be approved for, excavation permits in Los Angeles. Caltrans, California’s transportation agency, has to sign off on the proposal as well.
Featured image courtesy of the Boring Company.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees