This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 11:43pm EST: The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has lifted the tsunami warning for most of the Caribbean — including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. However, Honduras and Belize are still threatened by 0.3 to 1 meter tsunami waves. The PTWC forecasts the following estimated time of arrival for these surges:
LOCATION REGION COORDINATES ETA(UTC) ------------------------------------------------------------ PUERTO CORTES HONDURAS 15.9N 88.0W 0342 01/10 BELIZE CITY BELIZE 17.5N 88.2W 0452 01/10
Still recovering from the double-blow of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico — with 40% of its residents still without power — and the US Virgin Islands are bracing for yet another natural disaster. A powerful 7.6 magnitude earthquake (initially reported to be 7.8 magnitude) struck off of Honduras, leading authorities to issue tsunami warnings for Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands:
The US State Department also notes tsunami advisories are in effect for the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Mexico, Honduras, Cuba, Belize, San Andres and Providencia, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala.
Surges between 0.3 and 1 meter (1-3 feet) are possible in the region from this earthquake. The 7.6 magnitude earthquake is one of the most powerful earthquakes on record for the Caribbean:
The epicenter is calculated to be 27 miles off of Great Swan Island in Honduras:
As of 11:22pm local time (10:22pm EST), the National Weather Service in San Juan recommended that everyone evacuate off beaches and low-lying areas:
This is a breaking story. Stay tuned to The Points Guy for updates.
Featured image of Phuket, Thailand by UniversalImagesGroup / Getty Images
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards