7.6 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Caribbean, Tsunami Warnings Posted
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 11:43pm EST: The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has lifted the tsunami warning for most of the Caribbean — including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. However, Honduras and Belize are still threatened by 0.3 to 1 meter tsunami waves. The PTWC forecasts the following estimated time of arrival for these surges:
LOCATION REGION COORDINATES ETA(UTC) ------------------------------------------------------------ PUERTO CORTES HONDURAS 15.9N 88.0W 0342 01/10 BELIZE CITY BELIZE 17.5N 88.2W 0452 01/10
Still recovering from the double-blow of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico — with 40% of its residents still without power — and the US Virgin Islands are bracing for yet another natural disaster. A powerful 7.6 magnitude earthquake (initially reported to be 7.8 magnitude) struck off of Honduras, leading authorities to issue tsunami warnings for Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands:
The US State Department also notes tsunami advisories are in effect for the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Mexico, Honduras, Cuba, Belize, San Andres and Providencia, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala.
Surges between 0.3 and 1 meter (1-3 feet) are possible in the region from this earthquake. The 7.6 magnitude earthquake is one of the most powerful earthquakes on record for the Caribbean:
The epicenter is calculated to be 27 miles off of Great Swan Island in Honduras:
As of 11:22pm local time (10:22pm EST), the National Weather Service in San Juan recommended that everyone evacuate off beaches and low-lying areas:
This is a breaking story. Stay tuned to The Points Guy for updates.
Featured image of Phuket, Thailand by UniversalImagesGroup / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees