This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 11:43pm EST: The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has lifted the tsunami warning for most of the Caribbean — including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. However, Honduras and Belize are still threatened by 0.3 to 1 meter tsunami waves. The PTWC forecasts the following estimated time of arrival for these surges:
LOCATION REGION COORDINATES ETA(UTC) ------------------------------------------------------------ PUERTO CORTES HONDURAS 15.9N 88.0W 0342 01/10 BELIZE CITY BELIZE 17.5N 88.2W 0452 01/10
Still recovering from the double-blow of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico — with 40% of its residents still without power — and the US Virgin Islands are bracing for yet another natural disaster. A powerful 7.6 magnitude earthquake (initially reported to be 7.8 magnitude) struck off of Honduras, leading authorities to issue tsunami warnings for Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands:
The US State Department also notes tsunami advisories are in effect for the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Mexico, Honduras, Cuba, Belize, San Andres and Providencia, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala.
Surges between 0.3 and 1 meter (1-3 feet) are possible in the region from this earthquake. The 7.6 magnitude earthquake is one of the most powerful earthquakes on record for the Caribbean:
The epicenter is calculated to be 27 miles off of Great Swan Island in Honduras:
As of 11:22pm local time (10:22pm EST), the National Weather Service in San Juan recommended that everyone evacuate off beaches and low-lying areas:
This is a breaking story. Stay tuned to The Points Guy for updates.
Featured image of Phuket, Thailand by UniversalImagesGroup / Getty Images
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that