This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 11:43pm EST: The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has lifted the tsunami warning for most of the Caribbean — including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. However, Honduras and Belize are still threatened by 0.3 to 1 meter tsunami waves. The PTWC forecasts the following estimated time of arrival for these surges:
LOCATION REGION COORDINATES ETA(UTC) ------------------------------------------------------------ PUERTO CORTES HONDURAS 15.9N 88.0W 0342 01/10 BELIZE CITY BELIZE 17.5N 88.2W 0452 01/10
Still recovering from the double-blow of Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico — with 40% of its residents still without power — and the US Virgin Islands are bracing for yet another natural disaster. A powerful 7.6 magnitude earthquake (initially reported to be 7.8 magnitude) struck off of Honduras, leading authorities to issue tsunami warnings for Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands:
The US State Department also notes tsunami advisories are in effect for the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Mexico, Honduras, Cuba, Belize, San Andres and Providencia, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala.
Surges between 0.3 and 1 meter (1-3 feet) are possible in the region from this earthquake. The 7.6 magnitude earthquake is one of the most powerful earthquakes on record for the Caribbean:
The epicenter is calculated to be 27 miles off of Great Swan Island in Honduras:
As of 11:22pm local time (10:22pm EST), the National Weather Service in San Juan recommended that everyone evacuate off beaches and low-lying areas:
This is a breaking story. Stay tuned to The Points Guy for updates.
Featured image of Phuket, Thailand by UniversalImagesGroup / Getty Images
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees