Boeing Gets FAA Certification for the 787-10
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The latest variant of Boeing’s successful 787 Dreamliner has gained its amended type certificate (ATC) from the US Federal Aviation Administration. On Monday, Boeing announced that it had received the necessary ATC, meaning it’s been cleared for commercial use and Singapore Airlines could take delivery of its first 787-10 as soon as the first half of 2018.
In a statement, Boeing said that the test program for the new dash-10 model began in March 2017 and involved three flight test aircraft, which accumulated about 900 test hours, including its maiden voyage. The flight test program at Boeing consists testing its handling, systems and overall performance to ensure safety of flight.
The 787-10 is the latest and largest of the three 787 models. Check out the first look from inside the dash-10. According to Boeing, it expects other aviation regulatory agencies to follow the FAA’s lead and certify the 787-10 before it enters commercial service.
Singapore Airlines is the launch customer for the 787-10. The FAA’s ATC allows for the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore to also authorize the aircraft, which underwent final assembly in North Charleston, South Carolina. Singapore has committed to 49 orders of the 787-10. The North American launch customer for the aircraft is United, which ordered 14. Other orders include Etihad Airways (30), EVA Air (18), British Airways (12), Air France-KLM (seven) and All Nippon Airways (three), among others.
Featured image by Singapore Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.