Air Seychelles to End Long-Haul Flights, Focus on Local Operations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On April 24, 2018, Air Seychelles will cancel its long-haul flight between Seychelles International Airport on the island of Mahe (SEZ), and Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG). The SEZ-CDG route makes up 30% of the airline’s passenger revenue.
The small national carrier, which is partly owned by Etihad Airways, no doubt is struggling from increased international competition. British Airways is expected to launch service to Seychelles in March, while Air France subsidiary Joon begins operations in May, followed by Swiss Edelweiss Air in September. These three airlines join nine existing carriers that serve the island nation in addition to Air Seychelles, creating a huge increase in capacity to Seychelles that will likely drive airfare prices down.
“This represents a major challenge to the company as Paris accounts for approximately 30% of our total passenger revenue at air Seychelles,” Air Seychelles CEO Remco Althius said in reference to the combined influx of inbound availability to Seychelles.
Air Seychelles will also cancel service to Antananarivo, Madagascar (TNR) in April, continuing the recent major adjustments to the airline’s business model. These cancellations follow in the wake of last September’s termination of Air Seychelles’ twice-weekly Dusseldorf (DUS) route, which was in service for less than six months.
Instead, Air Seychelles plans to shift its focus a little closer to home, concentrating on its domestic efforts, including its inter-island operations between Mahe and Praslin (PRI) as well as island charters and scenic tour packages. In addition, the airline plans to replace its two regional Airbus A320 with next-generation narrow-bodied aircraft in 2019 in a bid to operate more competitively. Air Seychelles currently owns 10 planes in total.
Seychelles as a country saw marked growth in tourism in 2017, with a 15% increase over 2016. Austrian Airlines became the third airline to offer nonstop direct service between Europe and Seychelles. The 115-island archipelago nation anticipates an additional 8-10% increase in tourism in 2018, bolstering the main pillar of Seychelles’ economy.
Feature photo courtesy Air Seychelles
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees