This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How important is champagne to you? For some, it’s enough to divert a flight.
On Saturday, Swiss flight LX1327 was diverted due to a passenger becoming aggressive after she was denied champagne onboard, the Associated Press reported.
The flight, traveling from Moscow’s Domodedovo airport (DME) to Zurich (ZRH), was diverted to Germany’s Stuttgart airport (STR) after a 44-year-old business class passenger became agitated enough for the crew members to make an emergency stop with less than an hour of flight time left.
German police said that the passenger became very aggressive after continually demanding more bubbly until she was cut off by the crew, according to Swiss newspaper Blick. She then started pacing around the cabin and even grabbed a crew member by the wrist.
At that point the Swiss captain of the Airbus A320 decided to divert to Stuttgart and remove the passenger. She was escorted off the plane and not allowed back on. The aircraft was grounded for 45 minutes before it continued on to Zurich.
The passenger was fined 5,000 euros ($5,900) for the incident although the diversion likely cost Swiss in excess of 10,000 euros.
Police said the other 43 passengers onboard were safe and not in danger during the flight.
Featured photo by Hero Images / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards