This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How important is champagne to you? For some, it’s enough to divert a flight.
On Saturday, Swiss flight LX1327 was diverted due to a passenger becoming aggressive after she was denied champagne onboard, the Associated Press reported.
The flight, traveling from Moscow’s Domodedovo airport (DME) to Zurich (ZRH), was diverted to Germany’s Stuttgart airport (STR) after a 44-year-old business class passenger became agitated enough for the crew members to make an emergency stop with less than an hour of flight time left.
German police said that the passenger became very aggressive after continually demanding more bubbly until she was cut off by the crew, according to Swiss newspaper Blick. She then started pacing around the cabin and even grabbed a crew member by the wrist.
At that point the Swiss captain of the Airbus A320 decided to divert to Stuttgart and remove the passenger. She was escorted off the plane and not allowed back on. The aircraft was grounded for 45 minutes before it continued on to Zurich.
The passenger was fined 5,000 euros ($5,900) for the incident although the diversion likely cost Swiss in excess of 10,000 euros.
Police said the other 43 passengers onboard were safe and not in danger during the flight.
Featured photo by Hero Images / Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees