This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How important is champagne to you? For some, it’s enough to divert a flight.
On Saturday, Swiss flight LX1327 was diverted due to a passenger becoming aggressive after she was denied champagne onboard, the Associated Press reported.
The flight, traveling from Moscow’s Domodedovo airport (DME) to Zurich (ZRH), was diverted to Germany’s Stuttgart airport (STR) after a 44-year-old business class passenger became agitated enough for the crew members to make an emergency stop with less than an hour of flight time left.
German police said that the passenger became very aggressive after continually demanding more bubbly until she was cut off by the crew, according to Swiss newspaper Blick. She then started pacing around the cabin and even grabbed a crew member by the wrist.
At that point the Swiss captain of the Airbus A320 decided to divert to Stuttgart and remove the passenger. She was escorted off the plane and not allowed back on. The aircraft was grounded for 45 minutes before it continued on to Zurich.
The passenger was fined 5,000 euros ($5,900) for the incident although the diversion likely cost Swiss in excess of 10,000 euros.
Police said the other 43 passengers onboard were safe and not in danger during the flight.
Featured photo by Hero Images / Getty Images
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees