Plane Diverts After Angry Woman Is Denied Champagne
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How important is champagne to you? For some, it’s enough to divert a flight.
On Saturday, Swiss flight LX1327 was diverted due to a passenger becoming aggressive after she was denied champagne onboard, the Associated Press reported.
The flight, traveling from Moscow’s Domodedovo airport (DME) to Zurich (ZRH), was diverted to Germany’s Stuttgart airport (STR) after a 44-year-old business class passenger became agitated enough for the crew members to make an emergency stop with less than an hour of flight time left.
German police said that the passenger became very aggressive after continually demanding more bubbly until she was cut off by the crew, according to Swiss newspaper Blick. She then started pacing around the cabin and even grabbed a crew member by the wrist.
At that point the Swiss captain of the Airbus A320 decided to divert to Stuttgart and remove the passenger. She was escorted off the plane and not allowed back on. The aircraft was grounded for 45 minutes before it continued on to Zurich.
The passenger was fined 5,000 euros ($5,900) for the incident although the diversion likely cost Swiss in excess of 10,000 euros.
Police said the other 43 passengers onboard were safe and not in danger during the flight.
Featured photo by Hero Images / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees