Plane Diverts After Angry Woman Is Denied Champagne
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How important is champagne to you? For some, it’s enough to divert a flight.
On Saturday, Swiss flight LX1327 was diverted due to a passenger becoming aggressive after she was denied champagne onboard, the Associated Press reported.
The flight, traveling from Moscow’s Domodedovo airport (DME) to Zurich (ZRH), was diverted to Germany’s Stuttgart airport (STR) after a 44-year-old business class passenger became agitated enough for the crew members to make an emergency stop with less than an hour of flight time left.
German police said that the passenger became very aggressive after continually demanding more bubbly until she was cut off by the crew, according to Swiss newspaper Blick. She then started pacing around the cabin and even grabbed a crew member by the wrist.
At that point the Swiss captain of the Airbus A320 decided to divert to Stuttgart and remove the passenger. She was escorted off the plane and not allowed back on. The aircraft was grounded for 45 minutes before it continued on to Zurich.
The passenger was fined 5,000 euros ($5,900) for the incident although the diversion likely cost Swiss in excess of 10,000 euros.
Police said the other 43 passengers onboard were safe and not in danger during the flight.
Featured photo by Hero Images / Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees