Taiwan Recalls Passports That Mistakenly Feature Dulles Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a case of mistaken identity, the Taiwanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) was forced to recall 200,000 printed passports that were supposed to feature an image of Taiwan’s Taoyuan International Airport (TPE). However, the image of the airport in the passport shows none other than Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD).
MOFA explained in a recent press conference that the designer in charge of creating the new passport had mistakenly worked off a photo of the DC-area airport, which is thought to have been the inspiration behind similar-looking Taoyuan’s Terminal One, during the drawing process.
Almost 300 citizens received copies of the incorrect passport, which only later did MOFA decide did, indeed, need to be recalled despite concerns of making applicants wait for the new and improved version to be issued. The additional 199,700 will not be sent out, and according to the Central News Agency, the new version should hopefully be ready in just one month.
MOFA says first generation e-passports are being sent to applicants in the meantime.
Featured image by Skyhobo via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.