Taiwan Recalls Passports That Mistakenly Feature Dulles Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a case of mistaken identity, the Taiwanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) was forced to recall 200,000 printed passports that were supposed to feature an image of Taiwan’s Taoyuan International Airport (TPE). However, the image of the airport in the passport shows none other than Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD).
MOFA explained in a recent press conference that the designer in charge of creating the new passport had mistakenly worked off a photo of the DC-area airport, which is thought to have been the inspiration behind similar-looking Taoyuan’s Terminal One, during the drawing process.
Almost 300 citizens received copies of the incorrect passport, which only later did MOFA decide did, indeed, need to be recalled despite concerns of making applicants wait for the new and improved version to be issued. The additional 199,700 will not be sent out, and according to the Central News Agency, the new version should hopefully be ready in just one month.
MOFA says first generation e-passports are being sent to applicants in the meantime.
Featured image by Skyhobo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.