This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once in the life of each and every Airbus plane, it flies a route that it’ll never fly again — from the Airbus factory or delivery center to the home base of its new owner. For Singapore Airlines’ latest A380, that special flight brought the plane — and just 96 passengers and crew — from Airbus HQ in Toulouse, France (TLS) to Singapore’s hub at Changi Airport (SIN).
With enough business-class seats to accommodate every passenger upstairs, there wasn’t any need for anyone to sit on the lower deck, which was entirely empty for most of the flight — it was so quiet, in fact, that I managed to get some exercise by doing laps between the rear stairs and the main staircase up front, walking about a mile in total.
Hoping to swing something like this on your own? Unfortunately delivery flights — and perhaps the occasional charter — are more or less the only times you might encounter an entirely empty deck. Typically these flights are restricted to airline employees — since there aren’t full crews onboard — but occasionally journalists are welcome to join.
As for this particular A380, the plane entered service today on its inaugural flight to Sydney (SYD) — almost every seat was taken in all four cabins, so passengers on board had a vastly different experience than we did on last week’s delivery.
It’s a great plane, though, with entirely new seats in suites, business and coach, plus a small cabin filled with Singapore’s recent premium economy product. So even though you’re likely to have other passengers in your cabin — and perhaps even a next-door neighbor — you’ll still be in for a pretty comfy ride.
For more on Singapore’s new A380, see:
- Watch Singapore Show Us Around The Most Impressive Suite to Date
- Touring the Gigantic New Singapore A380 Suite at Airbus HQ
- First Look at Singapore Airlines’ Brand-New Business Class
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees