Flying a Singapore A380 Without a Single Soul in Coach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once in the life of each and every Airbus plane, it flies a route that it’ll never fly again — from the Airbus factory or delivery center to the home base of its new owner. For Singapore Airlines’ latest A380, that special flight brought the plane — and just 96 passengers and crew — from Airbus HQ in Toulouse, France (TLS) to Singapore’s hub at Changi Airport (SIN).
With enough business-class seats to accommodate every passenger upstairs, there wasn’t any need for anyone to sit on the lower deck, which was entirely empty for most of the flight — it was so quiet, in fact, that I managed to get some exercise by doing laps between the rear stairs and the main staircase up front, walking about a mile in total.
Hoping to swing something like this on your own? Unfortunately delivery flights — and perhaps the occasional charter — are more or less the only times you might encounter an entirely empty deck. Typically these flights are restricted to airline employees — since there aren’t full crews onboard — but occasionally journalists are welcome to join.
As for this particular A380, the plane entered service today on its inaugural flight to Sydney (SYD) — almost every seat was taken in all four cabins, so passengers on board had a vastly different experience than we did on last week’s delivery.
It’s a great plane, though, with entirely new seats in suites, business and coach, plus a small cabin filled with Singapore’s recent premium economy product. So even though you’re likely to have other passengers in your cabin — and perhaps even a next-door neighbor — you’ll still be in for a pretty comfy ride.
For more on Singapore’s new A380, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.