This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To know me is to know that I’m an impatient person. I hate waiting in lines, which is why I’m so thankful for things like Global Entry, TSA PreCheck and CLEAR, which have all saved me countless hours while traveling over the years. However, I try to save as much time as possible in my non-traveling life as well — shopping online to skip long lines in stores and even ordering my Dunkin Donuts coffee in advance every day via an app so it’s waiting on the counter. Whatever I can do to use technology to save time and hassle, I’m in.
Since I do most of my shopping online, I have been using the digital wallet Masterpass by Mastercard, which allows you to store your credit card and then check out seamlessly — saving time and also allowing you to get added protections for your purchase. It’s free to sign up, and most credit and debit cards are supported — even non-Mastercard products.
Here’s how you can use it:
Step 1: Visit Masterpass.com and create and account for free.
Step 2: Add your credit cards and address.
Your purchase will be processed via Masterpass, but you receive all points / miles as if it were bought directly from the retailer. For example, when purchasing via JetBlue, the transaction will still be coded as an airline so you get a bonus if you’re using a credit card with a travel or airline bonus.
You can also sign up to get special offers for Masterpass users. If you have an Android phone, you can download the Masterpass app, which will let you swipe your phone at checkout at participating retailers — saving you the time for digging through your wallet for cards, and also adding protection. The NFC technology transmits a unique token, not your actual card number, adding an extra layer of protection.
Simply put, Masterpass is a free tool that saves time while shopping and gives extra purchase protection — a no brainer in my opinion.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that