How to Relive Your Favorite Holiday Movies Using Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
‘Tis the season to light a fire in the fireplace, sip on mulled wine and press play on the holiday movies you’ve waited all year long to watch. But this year, you can do even more to get into the holiday spirit. Put your points to use and visit the cities — and settings — of your favorite holiday classics. Here’s how you can make it happen.
The film: Home Alone
The destination: Chicago, IL
KEVIN! It feels like just yesterday I watched this classic for the first time, and it still never gets old. If you too want to relive Home Alone, head to Chicago this holiday season. Start your tour by visiting the McCallister family’s home located just outside the city at 671 Lincoln Avenue, Winnetka, IL. Next, head to Hubbard Woods Park, and skate on the rink where Kevin made his famed getaway.
When it’s time to find your own home, choose Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection. Rates in December start at $299 per night, or 40,000 Marriott Rewards points per night.
The film: A Christmas Story
The destination: Cleveland, OH
Is there a more quintessential holiday film than A Christmas Story? To relive this treasured classic, pack your bunny PJs and head to Cleveland, Ohio. There, you can take a trip down memory lane and visit the Christmas Story House museum, where you’ll find the Parker home restored to all its movie glory. Or, head to Castle Noel and slide down the Santa display and mountain used in the 1983 film. To experience more film nostalgia, check out the Cleveland Play House adaptation of the movie from November 24 to December 23.
Round out your trip by staying where the cast stayed during filming: the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel. Room rates start at $154 per night or 30,000 Marriott Rewards points in December.
The film: It’s A Wonderful Life
The destination: Seneca Falls, NY
What is it about Christmas that ups the nostalgia ante? The town of Seneca Falls knows what I mean. Each year, it holds a festival dedicated to all things It’s a Wonderful Life. The celebration includes a bell ringing, parade, an It’s a Wonderful Run 5K race, “Uncle Billy’s” scavenger hunt and a memorabilia exhibit along with wagon and horse-drawn carriage rides. Visit locations from the movie with the custom location map and spend the night at the nearby Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes in Rochester, NY. Hotel rates start at $127 or 25,000 Marriott points per night.
The film: The Holiday
The destination: Los Angeles, CA
This is one of my favorite holiday movies, and not just because one of the lead characters is named Amanda (or is it?). No, it’s because sweet Iris escapes her awful two-timing boss-slash-lover and heads to sunny California to… That. House. Okay, so you can’t stay in Amanda’s mega-mansion, but you can still splurge for movie star treatment by booking the Cozy Cabanas at The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles.
Tuesday through Saturday throughout the month of December, both hotel guests and the general public are invited to reserve one of the hotel’s holiday-themed rooftop cabanas. As you screen a classic holiday film under the twinkling lights of your private cabana, a dedicated butler will serve seasonal treats along with holiday punch from Wolfgang Puck’s WP24 restaurant. Packages are available for $300 for two people. Looking to stay the night? Room rates for December start at 60,000 points per night.
Details: Reservations for the Cozy Cabanas must be made 72 hours in advance by calling WP24 restaurant at 213-743-8824.
The film: Elf
The destination: New York, NY
New York City radiates holiday spirit this time of year; department stores have window displays, Christmas markets pop up in parks all over the city and, of course, there’s the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree — a tree fit for a human-sized Elf! With the city as your movie set, relive Buddy and Jovie’s first date with a skate around the iconic Roc Center rink. Next, channel your inner elf and stuff your face with all the sweets imaginable at Dylan’s Candy Bar. And if you’re lucky enough to experience a snowfall during your visit, make sure you head to Central Park for the best sledding.
When you’ve had your fill of fun, put your points to work at the Crown Plaza Times Square. Room rates start at 50,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night in December.
Featured image of Central Park by rabbit75_is via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees