How to Relive Your Favorite Holiday Movies Using Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
‘Tis the season to light a fire in the fireplace, sip on mulled wine and press play on the holiday movies you’ve waited all year long to watch. But this year, you can do even more to get into the holiday spirit. Put your points to use and visit the cities — and settings — of your favorite holiday classics. Here’s how you can make it happen.
The film: Home Alone
The destination: Chicago, IL
KEVIN! It feels like just yesterday I watched this classic for the first time, and it still never gets old. If you too want to relive Home Alone, head to Chicago this holiday season. Start your tour by visiting the McCallister family’s home located just outside the city at 671 Lincoln Avenue, Winnetka, IL. Next, head to Hubbard Woods Park, and skate on the rink where Kevin made his famed getaway.
When it’s time to find your own home, choose Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection. Rates in December start at $299 per night, or 40,000 Marriott Rewards points per night.
The film: A Christmas Story
The destination: Cleveland, OH
Is there a more quintessential holiday film than A Christmas Story? To relive this treasured classic, pack your bunny PJs and head to Cleveland, Ohio. There, you can take a trip down memory lane and visit the Christmas Story House museum, where you’ll find the Parker home restored to all its movie glory. Or, head to Castle Noel and slide down the Santa display and mountain used in the 1983 film. To experience more film nostalgia, check out the Cleveland Play House adaptation of the movie from November 24 to December 23.
Round out your trip by staying where the cast stayed during filming: the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel. Room rates start at $154 per night or 30,000 Marriott Rewards points in December.
The film: It’s A Wonderful Life
The destination: Seneca Falls, NY
What is it about Christmas that ups the nostalgia ante? The town of Seneca Falls knows what I mean. Each year, it holds a festival dedicated to all things It’s a Wonderful Life. The celebration includes a bell ringing, parade, an It’s a Wonderful Run 5K race, “Uncle Billy’s” scavenger hunt and a memorabilia exhibit along with wagon and horse-drawn carriage rides. Visit locations from the movie with the custom location map and spend the night at the nearby Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes in Rochester, NY. Hotel rates start at $127 or 25,000 Marriott points per night.
The film: The Holiday
The destination: Los Angeles, CA
This is one of my favorite holiday movies, and not just because one of the lead characters is named Amanda (or is it?). No, it’s because sweet Iris escapes her awful two-timing boss-slash-lover and heads to sunny California to… That. House. Okay, so you can’t stay in Amanda’s mega-mansion, but you can still splurge for movie star treatment by booking the Cozy Cabanas at The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles.
Tuesday through Saturday throughout the month of December, both hotel guests and the general public are invited to reserve one of the hotel’s holiday-themed rooftop cabanas. As you screen a classic holiday film under the twinkling lights of your private cabana, a dedicated butler will serve seasonal treats along with holiday punch from Wolfgang Puck’s WP24 restaurant. Packages are available for $300 for two people. Looking to stay the night? Room rates for December start at 60,000 points per night.
Details: Reservations for the Cozy Cabanas must be made 72 hours in advance by calling WP24 restaurant at 213-743-8824.
The film: Elf
The destination: New York, NY
New York City radiates holiday spirit this time of year; department stores have window displays, Christmas markets pop up in parks all over the city and, of course, there’s the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree — a tree fit for a human-sized Elf! With the city as your movie set, relive Buddy and Jovie’s first date with a skate around the iconic Roc Center rink. Next, channel your inner elf and stuff your face with all the sweets imaginable at Dylan’s Candy Bar. And if you’re lucky enough to experience a snowfall during your visit, make sure you head to Central Park for the best sledding.
When you’ve had your fill of fun, put your points to work at the Crown Plaza Times Square. Room rates start at 50,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night in December.
Featured image of Central Park by rabbit75_is via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.