This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today’s the final weekend of the NFL regular season, which means that this may be your final chance to earn 1,000 free Marriott points with the chain’s “Extra Points Sundays” promotion. After Marriott Rewards took a week off for the holidays last Sunday, it has now posted today’s question on Twitter, which you’ll need to answer by 8pm Eastern tonight — Sunday, December 31 — in order to get your free points:
There’s actually been some confusion over this answer. While the first Pro Bowl between the newly merged NFL and AFL took place in 1971, the game itself was originated exactly 20 years before that. And if you’re not sure what year Marriott is looking for, you can read the tweets of others who Marriott has deemed to have answered it correctly.
By now most folks have probably already connected their Twitter and Marriott Rewards accounts. But if you haven’t, make sure to do so before you tweet your answer or the points won’t credit. For each social media account you connect to Marriott Rewards — including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram — you’ll get an extra 250 points on top of the 1,000 trivia points. Plus, following Marriott on Twitter and Instagram will earn you another 125 points for each one.
In his most recent points valuations, TPG puts Marriott Rewards points as being worth 0.9 cents apiece, so 1,000 Marriott points are worth $9 in value. Keep in mind you can also transfer points between Marriott and SPG at a ratio of 3 to 1, thanks to the merger of the two chains, so you’ll also have the option to move these points over to Starwood if you have more use for them there. Also, you have to have qualifying activity every two years to keep your Marriott points alive, and points earned via social activity don’t count toward resetting the expiration clock.
Many thanks to Marriott for a fun and generous promotion this football season. Don’t forget to include the hashtag #RewardsPoints when you tweet your answer, and send your tweet before 8pm Eastern tonight!
Featured image of the Milan Marriott Hotel by Marriott.
Now that Marriott and Starwood have joined forces, you can transfer your points between the two programs depending on what makes the most sense for you. Each year after your anniversary date, this card will earn you 1 complimentary night stay at a category 1-5 location and you will earn 15 Elite Credits that will guarantee you at least Silver Elite Status.
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $85.
- Enjoy 1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year after your account anniversary date!
- Earn unlimited Marriott Rewards points and get Free Night Stays faster
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels
- 2 points per $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airlines, at car rental agencies & restaurants. Plus 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- The fastest way to earn Marriott Rewards Elite Status. Receive 15 Elite Credits guaranteeing Silver Elite Status or better.