Deal Alert: US Cities to Amsterdam From $406 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
As mainstream airlines continue to compete against low-cost carriers on routes to Europe, customers are the winners as prices fall. Today we’re seeing another example of this as American, Delta, United and British Airways are offering great prices starting at $406 round-trip to Amsterdam (AMS) from cities in the Northeast including Boston (BOS), New York (JFK) and Washington, DC (DCA), and Chicago (ORD) in the Midwest.
You’ll find most travel dates between February and May, and you don’t need any tricks to get these deals. Just search for the dates you want with Google Flights, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Also, since these are international trips on mainstream carriers — and not in Basic Economy — in most cases passengers will get their first checked bag free and a complimentary meal during the flight.
Airlines: American, Delta, United, British Airways
Routes: BOS/JFK/DCA/ORD to AMS
Cost: $406+ round-trip in economy
Dates: February through May 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline itself
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Washington, DC (DCA) to Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) for $406 round-trip via AA:
Boston (BOS) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $463 round-trip via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Amsterdam (AMS) nonstop for $480 round-trip via Orbitz:
New York (JFK) to Amsterdam (AMS) nonstop for $488 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
Featured image by querbeet/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more when you select one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees