Protests and General Strike Lead to Flight Cancellations in Argentina
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Argentina’s Congress is set to pass a law changing how future pension payments are calculated. In response, Argentina’s main labor group — Confederación General del Trabajo de la República Argentina (CGT) — has called for a 24-hour protest that started Monday, December 18 at 12:00pm local time.
As one of the largest labor groups in the world with over 3 million members, around one in five Argentine workers is a member of CGT. So, a strike by this labor union can cause severe impacts to all aspects of life in the South American nation, including travel.
According to a notice posted on the Argentine version of its website, LATAM Airlines has cancelled all domestic and international Argentina flights through noon Tuesday. The translated version of the notice reads:
LATAM Airlines informs that due to the national strike in Argentina for 24 hours, announced as of noon today, the operation will be canceled since then for domestic and international flights in the airports of this country.
After 12 noon of tomorrow, Tuesday, December 19, the service will be gradually restored.
Similarly, Aerolineas Argentinas is cancelling all Argentina flights “with respect to the work stoppage decreed by the CGT:”
Even if you’re not flying on LATAM or Aerolineas Argentinas, you might face delays or cancellations if flying in, out or through Argentina on Monday night or Tuesday. FlightAware has already tracked 559 cancellations so far in the country’s three largest airports:
- Jorge Newbery in Buenos Aires, Argentina (AEP): 214 cancellations Monday, 159 cancellations Tuesday
- Ministro Pistarini in Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE): 79 cancellations Monday, 29 cancellations Tuesday
- Cordoba, Argentina (COR): 45 cancellations Monday, 33 cancellations Tuesday
Two US airlines currently have travel waivers to allow you to change your flight:
- Travel dates: December 18-19
- Airports covered: Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE); Cordoba, Argentina (COR); Mendoza, Argentina (MDZ)
- Must have purchased your ticket by December 18.
- Rebook travel anytime between December 18-22.
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same class or pay the difference.
- Travel dates: December 18-19
- Airport covered: Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 21, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Featured image by Eitan Abramovich / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees