Protests and General Strike Lead to Flight Cancellations in Argentina
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Argentina’s Congress is set to pass a law changing how future pension payments are calculated. In response, Argentina’s main labor group — Confederación General del Trabajo de la República Argentina (CGT) — has called for a 24-hour protest that started Monday, December 18 at 12:00pm local time.
As one of the largest labor groups in the world with over 3 million members, around one in five Argentine workers is a member of CGT. So, a strike by this labor union can cause severe impacts to all aspects of life in the South American nation, including travel.
According to a notice posted on the Argentine version of its website, LATAM Airlines has cancelled all domestic and international Argentina flights through noon Tuesday. The translated version of the notice reads:
LATAM Airlines informs that due to the national strike in Argentina for 24 hours, announced as of noon today, the operation will be canceled since then for domestic and international flights in the airports of this country.
After 12 noon of tomorrow, Tuesday, December 19, the service will be gradually restored.
Similarly, Aerolineas Argentinas is cancelling all Argentina flights “with respect to the work stoppage decreed by the CGT:”
Even if you’re not flying on LATAM or Aerolineas Argentinas, you might face delays or cancellations if flying in, out or through Argentina on Monday night or Tuesday. FlightAware has already tracked 559 cancellations so far in the country’s three largest airports:
- Jorge Newbery in Buenos Aires, Argentina (AEP): 214 cancellations Monday, 159 cancellations Tuesday
- Ministro Pistarini in Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE): 79 cancellations Monday, 29 cancellations Tuesday
- Cordoba, Argentina (COR): 45 cancellations Monday, 33 cancellations Tuesday
Two US airlines currently have travel waivers to allow you to change your flight:
- Travel dates: December 18-19
- Airports covered: Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE); Cordoba, Argentina (COR); Mendoza, Argentina (MDZ)
- Must have purchased your ticket by December 18.
- Rebook travel anytime between December 18-22.
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same class or pay the difference.
- Travel dates: December 18-19
- Airport covered: Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 21, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Featured image by Eitan Abramovich / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.