This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
1. Spend the night in a glass-roofed portable hut…or float in Finland’s Arctic waters.
Off the Map Travel, which specializes in the Arctic region of Scandinavia, has several unforgettable ways to see the polar lights, and its newest Finland offerings take it to a whole new level. The first is an overnight program (from $2,150 as part of a four-day itinerary) in the wilderness surrounding Kilpisjärvi (which has more clear night skies and records more Northern Lights activity than any other place in Finland); guests are transported via snowmobile to a mobile campsite that has been positioned based on current Aurora predictions. The hut, which houses a warm and cozy bed, has a transparent glass roof, making it possible to relax indoors while remaining in the best possible position to catch the lights. Off the Map also has a new excursion in Rovaniemi (from $1,735, as part of a four-day itinerary); intrepid travelers don a head-to-toe thermal rescue suit and walk to the edge of a frozen lake. A neatly cut hole exposes 0-degree water, creating a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to float in Arctic waters while gazing up at an Aurora sighting overhead.
2. Snowmobile through Arctic Sweden.
3. Dogsled across East Greenland.
4. Fly above the Shetland Islands.
5. Trek through Polar Bear Country.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees