Amazing Deal Alert: Flights to New Zealand From $395 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Update: This fare is no longer available. Congrats to anyone who was able to take advantage!
Fares to New Zealand can easily climb above $1,500 round-trip, and even jump beyond $2,000 during peak periods. Today they’re available from just $395!
Flights are operated by Air New Zealand or United, but must be booked through United’s site or as a United-issued ticket booked through an online travel agency. Note that United’s Auckland flights from San Francisco (SFO) are operated by the 777-300ER, with a tight 3-4-3 configuration in coach. Air New Zealand’s 777 flights have a similar arrangement, however the carrier’s nonstop flights from Houston (IAH) are operated by a 787 Dreamliner with a slightly more spacious 3-3-3 configuration.
Note that the United flights book into the “L” fare class, so they aren’t eligible for Global Premier Upgrades. You can upgrade for 30,000 miles and $600 each way, depending on availability, or you can book your flight into the higher “W” fare class — rates are much higher there, but still appear to be discounted, starting at $1,250 round-trip.
These discounted fares are available from dozens of cities around the US, but not every airport is included. For example, while fares are $410 round-trip from Orange County (SNA), they’re $796 from Los Angeles (LAX), so it could be worth driving a bit to catch a cheaper flight. There’s always a chance that this is some crazy unadvertised Cyber Monday sale, but these are most likely mistake fares, so be sure to keep these things in mind before you book.
Airlines: Air New Zealand, United
Routes: Most US cities to Auckland, New Zealand
Cost: $395+ round-trip in economy
Dates: January 2018 to September 2018
Booking Link: United
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL) for $395 round-trip with United:
San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL) for $395 round-trip with Air New Zealand:
Orange County (SNA) to Auckland (AKL) for $410 round-trip with United:
Houston (IAH) to Auckland (AKL) for $495 round-trip with Air New Zealand:
Newark (EWR) to Auckland (AKL) for $610 round-trip with United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image of the Wanaka Tree by Beerpixs via Getty Images.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees