Newly Discovered Pan Am Video Shows Luxury Flying in the ’50s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Commercial flying isn’t what it used to be — and that’s no surprise. In the last couple decades alone, aviation has gone through serious (and many of them positive) changes from prohibiting smoking onboard (for the most part), to a huge security overhaul. While some changes have been subtle, a look at this recently re-discovered promotional video from Pan American World Airlines from 1958 gives us a little insight into just how much commercial things have changed in the last 60 years.
The now defunct airline released the video to highlight how luxurious commercial flying was. It mentions the comfort and “complete absence of vibrations” that travelers used to experience before the arrival of the jet, specifically this Boeing 707 featured in the video. The flight showcased in the video, from New York City to London, marvels the fact that it lasts less than seven hours: “New York to London in the same time it takes you to see a baseball double header.” It also mentions that food can be prepared in ovens in less than five minutes; other notable differences include the large lavatories and white linens placed on the tray tables during dining service.
Pan Am led the pack when it came to flying commercially in the early Jet Age. The luxurious amenities onboard the aircraft during the ’50s and ’60s were necessary because of the high cost of traveling — back then, the airline could afford top of the line service.
“A new concept in air travel. The travail has been taken out of travel,” the narrator states in the video. “It all goes so fast and it’s so comfortable that you feel as if you haven’t traveled at all. Many hours gained and no sleep lost.”
Featured image by Underwood Archives / Getty Images
H/T: Lonely Planet
Have you ever flown with Pan Am? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees