Newly Discovered Pan Am Video Shows Luxury Flying in the ’50s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Commercial flying isn’t what it used to be — and that’s no surprise. In the last couple decades alone, aviation has gone through serious (and many of them positive) changes from prohibiting smoking onboard (for the most part), to a huge security overhaul. While some changes have been subtle, a look at this recently re-discovered promotional video from Pan American World Airlines from 1958 gives us a little insight into just how much commercial things have changed in the last 60 years.
The now defunct airline released the video to highlight how luxurious commercial flying was. It mentions the comfort and “complete absence of vibrations” that travelers used to experience before the arrival of the jet, specifically this Boeing 707 featured in the video. The flight showcased in the video, from New York City to London, marvels the fact that it lasts less than seven hours: “New York to London in the same time it takes you to see a baseball double header.” It also mentions that food can be prepared in ovens in less than five minutes; other notable differences include the large lavatories and white linens placed on the tray tables during dining service.
Pan Am led the pack when it came to flying commercially in the early Jet Age. The luxurious amenities onboard the aircraft during the ’50s and ’60s were necessary because of the high cost of traveling — back then, the airline could afford top of the line service.
“A new concept in air travel. The travail has been taken out of travel,” the narrator states in the video. “It all goes so fast and it’s so comfortable that you feel as if you haven’t traveled at all. Many hours gained and no sleep lost.”
Featured image by Underwood Archives / Getty Images
H/T: Lonely Planet
Have you ever flown with Pan Am? Let us know in the comments below.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.