MegaBus Introduces Free “In Bus Entertainment”
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Is it the dawn of the golden age of bus travel? With companies like Cabin driving buses with lie-flat beds and free Wi-Fi onboard carriers like BoltBus, these new amenities are making bus travel more and more attractive.
But what buses have really been missing is something to keep you distracted from your seatmate’s BO. Megabus, a large bus company that serves the US and Canada, has announced something that might do just that.
The company will be rolling out its own system for what we might call IBE, or in-bus-entertainment, using a rider’s personal device. The free onboard entertainment app called Megabus RIDE is available for download and is already available on a majority of routes. It will be fully rolled out across the fleet nationwide by the end of the month.
RIDE stands for Recreational Innovative Digital Entertainment, although it isn’t actually super innovative considering Greyhound released a similar service in 2013, on some routes.
Once Megabus riders download the RIDE app they will have the option to stream from 30 choices of movies, 10 hours of TV shows, 50 audiobooks and music albums and five games. The content is streamed over the buses’ Wi-Fi and will change periodically throughout the year on a rolling basis. Although it doesn’t have as many choices as many of the airlines’ entertainment systems, it’s definitely better than what the bus offered before, which wasn’t much more than slow and unreliable Wi-Fi.
Megabus told TPG some of the current offerings will include newer movies like Moonlight, Rogue One, The Lego Batman Movie, Moana and Suicide Squad plus the popular TV shows Blackish, Big Bang Theory and Community.
Some airlines are moving to a model of IFE similar to Megabus, American Airlines decided not to install screens in seatbacks on its new 737 MAX but to instead provide flyers content to stream onto their phone or tablet.
If you find yourself looking to buy a Megabus ticket, make sure you use a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, or Bank of America Premium Rewards card — bus tickets will code as travel, meaning you’ll receive bonus points for these purchases.
Will this improve upon a TPG contributor’s experience on a Megabus trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas route? It remains to be seen.
Featured image by Jonathan Ernst/The Washington Post/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees