After 37 Years, Island Air Ceases Operations Friday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2017 has been a mixed year for airline profitability. The top 5 US carriers are racking up $5 billion in profits per quarter. Meanwhile, other airlines are shutting down. Already in 2017, we have seen the end of Monarch and Air Berlin while Alitalia entered bankruptcy yet again.
Now we have news of the death of another airline: Island Air. The United partner and American Airlines interline partner operated around 450 flights per week between the Hawaiian islands. Hailed as Hawaii’s second-oldest airline, it originally launched in 1980 as Princeville Airways before being renamed Island Air in 1995.
The airline will cease operations at the close of business Friday, November 10. But, if you hold an Island Air ticket for a flight after that, you have options.
First, in an honorable way of gaining loyalty, previous competitor Hawaiian Airlines is honoring all Island Air tickets from November 11 to 17:
Starting Nov. 11 through 17, Island Air guests holding a confirmed reservation to/from/via Honolulu, Oʻahu (HNL); Kahului, Maui (OGG); Kona, Hawai‘i Island (KOA); and Līhu‘e, Kaua‘i (LIH) can standby for Coach Class seating on Hawaiian’s regularly scheduled flights between the same origin and destination cities on the ticketed day of departure.
For those who want a confirmed reservation, Hawaiian Airlines is offering a special $71 (taxes included) price for Island Air ticket holders for flights November 11-17.
United is offering assistance for those with ticketed revenue or award tickets through United for flights operated by Island Air:
If you have a ticket for a flight operated by Island Air after [November 10], please contact 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) or your local United Customer Contact Center so we can help rebook your travel or provide a refund.
United MileagePlus program is also honoring mileage claims for Island Air flights “up to 12 months after the date of their flight.”
If none of those help, Island Air directs passengers as follows: “For inquiries on refunds, please contact your credit card company.”
Featured image by Ed Whisenant via YouTube
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees