This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since Hilton Honors announced it was dropping Citi as a co-brand credit card issuer in June 2017, opting instead for a sole relationship with American Express, there haven’t been many changes from the consumer’s perspective. Earlier this month, Hilton Honors detailed plans for what will happen for current Citi Hilton co-branded credit cards, and now, we’ve learned that Citi will be dropping the Honors program as a transfer partner completely.
As reported by Doctor of Credit, the Citi ThankYou program will be dropping Hilton Honors as a transfer partner as of December 14, 2017 — December 13 will be your last day to initiate a transfer. We reached out to Citi for confirmation but have yet to hear back. Currently, you can transfer Citi ThankYou points to the Hilton Honors program at a 1:1.5 ratio.
As it is, the transfer ratio isn’t the best: TPG values Citi points at 1.5 cents apiece and Hilton Honors points at 0.6 cents apiece in his most recent valuations. So, you could be getting much more value out of your Citi ThankYou points than by transferring them to Hilton. Nevertheless, having the option of using ThankYou points for a Hilton redemption is a benefit that will be missed.
Given the credit card deal, this move was somewhat expected. After the deadline, Citi cardholders earning ThankYou points will still have access to the following 15 partners: Air France-KLM Flying Blue, Asia Miles, Etihad Guest, EVA Air, Garuda Indonesia, Jet Airways JetPrivilege, JetBlue TrueBlue, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Qatar Privilege Club, Sears Shop Your Way, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.
*Update: This story has been amended to show the correct date that Citi will be removing Hilton as a transfer partner.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: This card is now offering a 60,000-point bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months. 60,000 ThankYou points can be worth up to $1,020 based on TPG's most recent valuations.
- Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3X Points on Travel, Including Gas Stations
- Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
- 60,000 Points are redeemable for $750 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $600 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*