You Can Bid SkyMiles for the Final Delta 747 Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta just announced the routes for the its 747 farewell tour that will begin on December 18. These flights are definitely not going to be your ordinary Delta trips — there will be a special hangar tour and a whole lot of parties in each hub that the aircraft is visiting before it’s retired. We’re certainly excited to see how Delta’s celebrations compare to United’s sendoff for the Queen.
For those who want to say goodbye to Delta’s Queen, here’s your chance to get on board — Delta’s set up an auction through which members can bid SkyMiles to get on board the trips.
From now until December 1, you can bid SkyMiles to score a spot on one of the three domestic hub tour flights. If you’re not in the mood to travel, you can also bid on the Farewell Tour Hangar Party in Detroit and pay your respects from the ground. Each packages include two Delta One seats on one of the flights and two tickets to the Delta-hosted Farewell Tour Hangar Party that will be happening at each hub after the aircraft touches down.
There are five packages available for each of the routes (Detroit to Seattle, Seattle to Atlanta and Atlanta to Minneapolis). As of the time of this writing, the lowest bid is 86,001 miles on the DTW-SEA flight, though many of the packages are going for over 150,000 miles. The bids will surely rise so make sure you monitor the auction closely until it ends on December 1 at 11:00pm ET.
Since each package comes with two seats, this means that 10 seats on each flight can be for AvGeeks, Delta FanBoys, 747 lovers or anyone who just loves a good time. The rest of the cabin is open to airline employees and retirees who can purchase seats at a discounted rate, with the proceeds going to charity.
Featured image by Alan Wilson/Flickr.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta.
- Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights – that’s a savings of up to $240 for a family of 4 roundtrip.
- Receive Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights, stow your carry-on bag and settle in sooner.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees