This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While not the most exotic hotel points program, Best Western Rewards is trying to make a splash with a massive 115 million point “Go. Get. Rewarded.” giveaway now through Cyber Monday. In addition to over 155,000 awards between 100 and 10,000 points, there will be ten 100,000 point winners and four 1 million point winners. Make sure to enter daily through 11:59pm Eastern on November 27 to have a chance to win one of these prizes.
Everyone with a Best Western Rewards account will get one spin per day — if you don’t have an account, you can create one the first time you play. Best Western loyalists will earn a bonus spin “for every ten (10) eligible stays … using your Best Western Rewards number in any Best Western branded hotel in the United States or Canada from January 1, 2017 through November 23, 2017.” Based on my experience, this bonus spin is applied the first time you log in to play.
The official rules (caution: PDF link) also note that members can get up to 10 “Non-Purchase Spins.” In order to do this, the rules say to “visit the Website and follow the link to access the non-purchase spin request page and complete all data requested on the request form.” However, I can’t find this request form. Feel free to share below in the comments if you spot it.
Based on TPG’s valuations, the four 1,000,000 point grand prizes are valued at $7,000 each. Interestingly, the Approximate Retail Value for the Grand Prize is stated at $1,750. This might be the first time that a giveaway’s ARV is less than TPG’s valuations.
To help you spend these points, Best Western is also running a spend promotion offering a special 10,000 point rate for a free night “valid for a stay at any Best Western branded hotel in North America.” However, the free night must be redeemed before January 31, 2018.
Here’s how the prizes are laid out:
|Number of Prizes||Points Awarded||Value of award||Stated Odds|
|100,000||100||$0.70||1 in 4|
|50,000||1,000||$7||1 in 8|
|5,000||10,000||$70||1 in 80|
|10||100,000||$700||1 in 40,000|
|4||1,000,000||$7,000||1 in 100,000|
For those that are really nerdy like me: Since we have stated odds for each prize, we can calculate the expected return from playing this promotion. Based on the awards and odds, you can expect to win 288 points — worth just over $2 based on TPG’s valuations.
You don’t need to be a statistician to figure out that the most likely prize you’ll win is what I received on my first spin:
If you win one of the grand prizes, Best Western will “contact you by phone on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 to award your points,” so “make sure your contact information is up to date in your member profile on bestwestern.com.”
Featured image courtesy of Best Western Posada Royale.
H/T: The Gate
Did you win one of the 155,014 prizes?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees