This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While not the most exotic hotel points program, Best Western Rewards is trying to make a splash with a massive 115 million point “Go. Get. Rewarded.” giveaway now through Cyber Monday. In addition to over 155,000 awards between 100 and 10,000 points, there will be ten 100,000 point winners and four 1 million point winners. Make sure to enter daily through 11:59pm Eastern on November 27 to have a chance to win one of these prizes.
Everyone with a Best Western Rewards account will get one spin per day — if you don’t have an account, you can create one the first time you play. Best Western loyalists will earn a bonus spin “for every ten (10) eligible stays … using your Best Western Rewards number in any Best Western branded hotel in the United States or Canada from January 1, 2017 through November 23, 2017.” Based on my experience, this bonus spin is applied the first time you log in to play.
The official rules (caution: PDF link) also note that members can get up to 10 “Non-Purchase Spins.” In order to do this, the rules say to “visit the Website and follow the link to access the non-purchase spin request page and complete all data requested on the request form.” However, I can’t find this request form. Feel free to share below in the comments if you spot it.
Based on TPG’s valuations, the four 1,000,000 point grand prizes are valued at $7,000 each. Interestingly, the Approximate Retail Value for the Grand Prize is stated at $1,750. This might be the first time that a giveaway’s ARV is less than TPG’s valuations.
To help you spend these points, Best Western is also running a spend promotion offering a special 10,000 point rate for a free night “valid for a stay at any Best Western branded hotel in North America.” However, the free night must be redeemed before January 31, 2018.
Here’s how the prizes are laid out:
|Number of Prizes||Points Awarded||Value of award||Stated Odds|
|100,000||100||$0.70||1 in 4|
|50,000||1,000||$7||1 in 8|
|5,000||10,000||$70||1 in 80|
|10||100,000||$700||1 in 40,000|
|4||1,000,000||$7,000||1 in 100,000|
For those that are really nerdy like me: Since we have stated odds for each prize, we can calculate the expected return from playing this promotion. Based on the awards and odds, you can expect to win 288 points — worth just over $2 based on TPG’s valuations.
You don’t need to be a statistician to figure out that the most likely prize you’ll win is what I received on my first spin:
If you win one of the grand prizes, Best Western will “contact you by phone on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 to award your points,” so “make sure your contact information is up to date in your member profile on bestwestern.com.”
Featured image courtesy of Best Western Posada Royale.
H/T: The Gate
Did you win one of the 155,014 prizes?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees