Southwest Is Experimenting With a New Companion Pass Perk [Targeted]
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest is experimenting with its beloved Companion Pass. The carrier is sending out emails to some Companion Pass holders that for a limited time, their designated companion can board with them.
TPG reader Chris O. sent us the email he received regarding this limited-time test. Between October 18 and November 8, 2017, companions will be able to stand with the Companion Pass holder at their boarding position. The CP holder must present their valid Companion Pass along with boarding pass to the gate agent, and the companion’s name must match what’s listed on the Companion card. At this time, the test is only available on flights departing from Denver (DEN) or Dallas Love Field (DAL).
It’s not clear if Southwest is targeting Companion Pass holders based on their home base. It could be possible that only DEN- and DAL-based flyers are being targeted at this point. However, it’s also possible to think that if the test goes well, this could be expanded to all Companion Pass holders.
If this sticks around, it could be a huge addition for the Pass. It definitely makes a lot of sense that if you have a traveling companion, you’re going to want to sit next to them. However, with Southwest’s current boarding process, it’s possible for a CP holder and their companion to be split up. If they don’t check in at the same time, it’s possible that adjacent seats won’t be available after boarding at different times.
As a reminder, the Southwest Companion Pass is widely regarded as one of the most valuable frequent flyer perks out there. With it, you can designate someone to fly (almost) for free on any Southwest flight. You just have to pay the taxes and fees on the ticket. Plus, you could get it for two whole years if you qualify for it at the right time, as it’s valid for the remainder of the year in which you get it plus the entire following calendar year. Check out this post for more information on how you can earn the Companion Pass for almost two full years.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees