Singapore Airlines Pulls Some Business Class Awards From Partners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we shared the great news that United Airlines was once again displaying Singapore award availability on its website, making it much easier to search for — and book — MileagePlus awards.
At the time, Singapore Airlines was still restricting access to its best business and first-class awards as it’s done for years, limiting the latest premium products to members redeeming miles from the carrier’s own KrisFlyer program. As a result, anyone looking to redeem miles for business or first class on the Airbus A350, Airbus A380 or Boeing 777-300ER would need to book directly through Singapore, rather than using a partner program, like United MileagePlus or Aeroplan.
There was one exception to this rule, however — Singapore was making business class awards on its new A350 available to partners specifically for flights between SIN and some destinations in Australia. And, that availability was fantastic, as you can see in this October 3 screenshot:
The situation is entirely different today — these awards no longer appear on United.com, and both United and Aeroplan phone agents were unable to see the space.
There’s availability through Singapore’s own KrisFlyer program, though, so it’s clear that the airline is restricting partner access rather than pulling award space on the route entirely.
The good news is that Singapore partners will all transferrable points currencies — including Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou and Starwood Preferred Guest — so it’s still entirely possible to book these seats. You’ll just need to redeem many more miles to do so, considering KrisFlyer charges 58,000 miles for the same award you could book for 30,000 MileagePlus miles just last week.
Have you been able to book business or first class award seats with partner miles?
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees