This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we shared the great news that United Airlines was once again displaying Singapore award availability on its website, making it much easier to search for — and book — MileagePlus awards.
At the time, Singapore Airlines was still restricting access to its best business and first-class awards as it’s done for years, limiting the latest premium products to members redeeming miles from the carrier’s own KrisFlyer program. As a result, anyone looking to redeem miles for business or first class on the Airbus A350, Airbus A380 or Boeing 777-300ER would need to book directly through Singapore, rather than using a partner program, like United MileagePlus or Aeroplan.
There was one exception to this rule, however — Singapore was making business class awards on its new A350 available to partners specifically for flights between SIN and some destinations in Australia. And, that availability was fantastic, as you can see in this October 3 screenshot:
The situation is entirely different today — these awards no longer appear on United.com, and both United and Aeroplan phone agents were unable to see the space.
There’s availability through Singapore’s own KrisFlyer program, though, so it’s clear that the airline is restricting partner access rather than pulling award space on the route entirely.
The good news is that Singapore partners will all transferrable points currencies — including Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou and Starwood Preferred Guest — so it’s still entirely possible to book these seats. You’ll just need to redeem many more miles to do so, considering KrisFlyer charges 58,000 miles for the same award you could book for 30,000 MileagePlus miles just last week.
Have you been able to book business or first class award seats with partner miles?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees