Dream Job Alert: The New York Times Is Looking for Someone to Travel the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If this isn’t the ultimate dream job, then we don’t know what is (besides working at TPG, of course). The New York Times is looking to hire a journalist who will travel the globe for one full year and write about their experiences. The hiree will travel to each of the Times’ 52 Places to Go over the course of 52 weeks — hello, additional passport pages!
Here’s the job description from the Times:
“Every year, The New York Times recommends 52 Places to Go, one place to dream about exploring each week. The list is an ambitious forecast of which beaches will remain unspoiled, which starchitect-designed museums will live up to their renderings and which culinary treasures are worth hopping a flight to eat.
This year, we want at least one ambitious traveler to turn our wish list into an itinerary.
We are seeking a writer who will go to every destination on our list and tell us the story of each place and the story of life on the road. The ideal candidate is a permanent student of life and astute documentarian of the world. This person should have a well-worn passport, the ability to parachute into a place and distill its essence and to render a compelling tale with words and images.”
Thinking that this sounds like the perfect gig for you, you travel-loving, writing-obsessed TPG reader? Yep, we do too — however, there are some basic qualifications you’ll need to meet if you hope to be considered. At the very least, you’ll need to have media experience, fluency in English and expertise in social media and digital devices. In addition, you must have some travel experience, be available to commit to a full year, maintain an active role on social media, have documented your travel in writing, social media or elsewhere and have prior experience at a magazine, publishing company, newspaper, digital publication, film or other media organization.
If you meet those requirements, you’re definitely going to want to apply — just know that there will probably be thousands of applicants just like you. To apply, you’ll need to write a memo answering the following questions:
- Do you have a passport?
- What was your most recent trip?
- What’s the most interesting place you’ve been and why? (500 words)
- A 500-word memo outlining the themes you would like to explore during your travels
This is an awesome opportunity — anyone even remotely interested should at least send an application. Just think of all the miles you could earn…
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees