Maxing Out Bonus Spending Categories — Reader Mistake Story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
We often publish stories from readers that illustrate how points and miles can help you get where you want to go. However, it’s important to learn from our mistakes as well as our successes, so I’m calling on you to send us your most epic travel failure stories. Email them to email@example.com and put “Reader Mistake Story” in the subject line. Tell us how things went wrong, and (where applicable) how you made them right. Offer any wisdom you gained from the experience, and explain what the rest of us can do to avoid the same pitfalls. If we publish your story, we’ll send you a gift to help jump-start your next adventure!
Today, I want to share a story from TPG reader Joann, who used the wrong card for some of her dining purchases. Here’s what she had to say:
I focus on earning Ultimate Rewards points, so I was very excited about the 5x bonus at restaurants on the Chase Freedom this summer. I put all my dining charges on the Freedom card rather than my Chase Sapphire Reserve to earn the extra 2 points per dollar.
One day I was checking my account online and noticed that it said I had reached the limit for the quarterly bonus. I hadn’t even considered the cap, since I was so used to the Reserve having no limit on earning 3x points for dining purchases. The extra $544 I spent on the Freedom card only earned 1 point per dollar, so I received 544 points instead of the 2,720 points I expected. I would’ve earned 1,632 points by charging that extra spending to my Reserve card instead.
Joann’s mistake wasn’t too costly — I value Ultimate Rewards at 2.2 cents apiece, so she only lost about $24 worth of points. Still, her story highlights the importance of tracking your purchases on cards that offer limited spending bonuses. One missed opportunity is no big deal, but those rewards add up quickly.
The Freedom card offers 5 points per dollar on up to $1,500 in purchases in rotating quarterly categories. Beyond that $1,500 threshold (or after the bonus period ends) you’ll only earn 1 point per dollar, so you should switch to another card that offers a better return. If you need help tracking bonuses or deciding which card to use for a given purchase, check out the TPG To Go app.
I appreciate this story, and I hope it can help other readers avoid making the same mistake. To thank Joann for sharing her experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending her a $200 Visa gift card to enjoy on future travels.
I’d like to do the same for you! If you’ve ever arrived at the airport without ID, booked a hotel room in the wrong city, missed out on a credit card sign-up bonus or made another memorable travel or rewards mistake, I want to hear about it. Please indulge me and the whole TPG team by sending us your own stories (see instructions above). I look forward to hearing from you, and until then, I wish you a safe and mistake-free journey!
Featured image courtesy of Kathleen Finlay via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees