Mass Shooting Temporarily Closes Las Vegas McCarran Airport; Delays Expected
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sunday night’s tragic mass shooting in Las Vegas is now the deadliest in US history, leaving more than 50 victims dead and at least 200 others wounded. When reports first surfaced of the shooting around 10:00pm PT, Las Vegas’ McCarran International Airport (LAS) indicated that flights would be affected before it temporarily shut down operations.
McCarran Airport is located just east of the Mandalay Bay hotel, where there was the most police activity.
When police first responded to the incident, McCarran Airport tweeted that flight activity would be affected and passengers should expect delays. It then tweeted that some flights were diverted as a result of the incident.
At 2:44am PT, McCarran Airport tweeted that flights had been temporarily halted. However, at 3:47am PT, the airport tweeted that limited flight activity had resumed. The airport encouraged passengers to check with their airline because of the ongoing delays.
In all, more than two dozen flights were diverted on Sunday night.
Nearly two dozen @LASairport flights diverted to other airports overnight. If traveling Monday morning, please check status w/ your airline.
— McCarran Airport (@LASairport) October 2, 2017
A search on FlightRadar24 shows that a number of flights were diverted not long after the first reports of the shooting at 10:08pm.
As of Monday morning, flights seem to be operating in and out of LAS. However, if you are traveling to the city on Monday, it’s best to check with your airline to ensure there are no residual delays or cancellations.
Background on the story: Country singer Jason Aldean was performing at an outdoor concert when the sound of automatic gunfire erupted. SWAT teams were sent to the Mandalay Bay hotel just after 10:00pm PT. Before midnight, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department reported “one suspect is down.” On Monday morning, Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters that 50 people were killed and more than 200 were injured.
We will continue to update this story if there are any further developments.
Featured image by Ethan Miller / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees