Europe’s First Underwater Restaurant to Open in Norway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dreams of dining underwater (overseas) are one step closer to coming true with the announcement of a project from architecture firm Snôhetta. Europe is getting its first underwater restaurant off the southern coast of Norway. The extreme dining destination, which will appropriately be called “Under,” will have half its body above the water and the rest slanted below sea level. It is slated to begin construction in February 2018.
The planned structure will go down five meters into the water (approximately 16.4 feet), and will be encased in meter-thick concrete to withstand the underwater environment. In addition to being a restaurant, the submerged structure will serve as a research center for marine life. It will also act as an artificial mussel reef; the building’s coarse exterior will invite mussels to attach to it and eventually, the mollusk community will densify and become a reef over time.
Plans for the restaurant include three levels. Guests will enter into the wardrobe area and from there, they will be escorted down one level to the Champagne bar, which is where they will officially be underwater. From here, guests will be able to look down at the seabed section of the restaurant, where the main dining area is located. Tables will be situated in front of a 36-foot wide panoramic window with views into the ocean.
The name Under actually has dual meanings: in addition to its location below the ocean, under can be translated to wonder in Norwegian. Under will be joining several other underwater restaurants from around the world, including four breathtaking spots in the Maldives alone and another in Dubai. Adventurous diners can expect seating for up to 100 guests and local cuisine on the menu; the building has a completion date of early 2019.
Images courtesy of Snøhetta
Have you ever dined underwater before? Let us know in the comments below.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees