This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This has the potential to be a game-changer for legacy airlines in the US. As of Thursday, Delta’s iOS app supports automatic flight check-in — if your flight appears in the latest version of the Delta app, a boarding pass will automatically pop up 24 hours before departure.
It doesn’t look like the Android app has been updated to support this functionality yet, but assuming it’s a hit on iOS, I’m sure it’ll make its way to Google’s mobile platform, too.
Delta isn’t the only carrier to offer this feature — Lufthansa offers automated check-in as well, but only for flights within the Schengen area in Europe. With Lufthansa, your boarding pass will be sent via email or text message approximately 23 hours before departure. Additionally, JetBlue tested an auto check-in feature for select Even More Space customers in 2014, but has since discontinued the program.
I booked a flight for Friday morning to test out Delta’s new feature. Unfortunately a boarding pass wasn’t issued immediately, perhaps because the check-in period had already opened. It’s not yet clear which itineraries and routes are supported, or whether the same functionality will be available through Delta’s website, but we’ve reached out to the airline for more details.
Have you used Delta’s new auto check-in feature?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees