Delta’s Mobile App Now Checks You in Automatically
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This has the potential to be a game-changer for legacy airlines in the US. As of Thursday, Delta’s iOS app supports automatic flight check-in — if your flight appears in the latest version of the Delta app, a boarding pass will automatically pop up 24 hours before departure.
It doesn’t look like the Android app has been updated to support this functionality yet, but assuming it’s a hit on iOS, I’m sure it’ll make its way to Google’s mobile platform, too.
Delta isn’t the only carrier to offer this feature — Lufthansa offers automated check-in as well, but only for flights within the Schengen area in Europe. With Lufthansa, your boarding pass will be sent via email or text message approximately 23 hours before departure. Additionally, JetBlue tested an auto check-in feature for select Even More Space customers in 2014, but has since discontinued the program.
I booked a flight for Friday morning to test out Delta’s new feature. Unfortunately a boarding pass wasn’t issued immediately, perhaps because the check-in period had already opened. It’s not yet clear which itineraries and routes are supported, or whether the same functionality will be available through Delta’s website, but we’ve reached out to the airline for more details.
Have you used Delta’s new auto check-in feature?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.