Watch Video From Inside Delta’s Flight That Escaped Hurricane Irma
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers aboard Delta flight 302 had quite the experience on Wednesday. Their 737-900 took off at 12:52PM local from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to New York JFK packed full with 173 travelers — the last flight out of SJU before Hurricane Irma’s full force hit the island. It had landed just 40 minutes earlier, weaving its way through the hurricane’s outer bands, after many other flights had diverted to other airports rather than try and land in San Juan.
When the story broke on Wednesday, there were only images from flight tracking site FlightRadar24 and a short video of the jet taking off:
This video was taken showing the 737 after it had touched down, turned around in a rapid 35 minutes and then took off again, fighting Irma’s winds and rain:
Inside Edition gained access to some footage taken inside of the flight when the aircraft was taking off. The passengers can be heard saying “Goodbye Puerto Rico” and later “We are in the air.”
Although the video is short, it still displays tons of rain streaming across the windows with incredibly gray and cloudy skies in the background — all generated by the category 5 hurricane. Sheila Sellers, who was aboard the aircraft, told Inside Edition that “I put my head in my lap and just covered my ears.” Later in the interview Sellers added, “On a scale of one to ten on that flight I would say I was an 11.”
“Flight 431 from New York-JFK arrived at 12:01 p.m. to nine miles of visibility and light rain. Winds were around 24 knots with gusts up to 31 knots,” Delta said in a statement. Those numbers are “all well below operating limits for the 737-900ER to safely operate,” the airline added. Flight 302 arrived at JFK on Wednesday at 4:22pm.
Featured image by Facebook/Wladimir Castro / Storyful
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees