Watch Video From Inside Delta’s Flight That Escaped Hurricane Irma
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers aboard Delta flight 302 had quite the experience on Wednesday. Their 737-900 took off at 12:52PM local from San Juan, Puerto Rico, to New York JFK packed full with 173 travelers — the last flight out of SJU before Hurricane Irma’s full force hit the island. It had landed just 40 minutes earlier, weaving its way through the hurricane’s outer bands, after many other flights had diverted to other airports rather than try and land in San Juan.
When the story broke on Wednesday, there were only images from flight tracking site FlightRadar24 and a short video of the jet taking off:
This video was taken showing the 737 after it had touched down, turned around in a rapid 35 minutes and then took off again, fighting Irma’s winds and rain:
Inside Edition gained access to some footage taken inside of the flight when the aircraft was taking off. The passengers can be heard saying “Goodbye Puerto Rico” and later “We are in the air.”
Although the video is short, it still displays tons of rain streaming across the windows with incredibly gray and cloudy skies in the background — all generated by the category 5 hurricane. Sheila Sellers, who was aboard the aircraft, told Inside Edition that “I put my head in my lap and just covered my ears.” Later in the interview Sellers added, “On a scale of one to ten on that flight I would say I was an 11.”
“Flight 431 from New York-JFK arrived at 12:01 p.m. to nine miles of visibility and light rain. Winds were around 24 knots with gusts up to 31 knots,” Delta said in a statement. Those numbers are “all well below operating limits for the 737-900ER to safely operate,” the airline added. Flight 302 arrived at JFK on Wednesday at 4:22pm.
Featured image by Facebook/Wladimir Castro / Storyful
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.