Giveaway: Join TPG for a Very Special United 747 Event in San Francisco!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the end of next month, United’s 747s will fly for the last time on a long-haul route. The occasion is bittersweet — while the airline’s latest aircraft offer an unquestionably superior in-flight product, especially in business class, there may never be another bird that matches the majesty and ardent following of the Queen of the Skies.
The significance of this retirement is not lost on United. When a charter 747 was scheduled to be ferried from Chicago to San Francisco, the airline instead organized a last-minute domestic flight, giving fans one last opportunity to fly this plane on the cheap, with low-cost paid tickets and wide-open Saver awards available in all three cabins.
And now, United is partnering with TPG to invite 50 readers (plus their guest) to the airline’s exclusive Family Day event in San Francisco, where the stars of the show will be not one, but two, 747-400s, in addition to a 787 Dreamliner and United’s latest jet, the 777-300ER (all subject to change). This event is exclusively for employees and their families and is not open to the public. In other words, unless you or a family member work for the airline, our giveaway is your one and only opportunity to join United’s most notable Family Day to date.
The event will kick off at San Francisco International Airport at 10:00am on Sunday, October 8, 2017, and will run through much of the day. Activities will include:
- Tours (and photo ops) featuring various United aircraft, including the 747-400
- Tour United’s maintenance facility at SFO
- Coffee and pastries for breakfast
- A full lunch, including various food and beverage options
- A cookout with United’s 777 BBQ grill
- Aircraft exhibits and displays, including class war birds
- A car show
- Opportunities to geek out with United executives and members of our team, including TPG and yours truly
Entries will be accepted on Twitter exclusively (you may use an existing account or sign up for a Twitter account here). To enter, you must write a retirement letter to the 747, be it in the form of text within a tweet, a screenshot of a paragraph of text (example here), a short video, a picture of a card and so on. Only entries that include the hashtag #TPG747 will be considered. Entries must be posted by 11:59pm Eastern Time on Wednesday, September 20, 2017.
Winners must be current United MileagePlus members (as of September 12, 2017) in order to attend. Additionally, you must be available all day on Sunday, October 8, and must be able to cover all transportation and related expenses to SFO. Additional terms and conditions apply, which you can read here.
The Contest is sponsored and administered by and is the sole responsibility of TPG. The Contest is in no way sponsored or administered by United Airlines, Inc. or MileagePlus Holdings, LLC. All inquiries related to this Contest should be directed to TPG.
I hope to see you geeking out over the soon-to-be-retired 747 at United’s Family Day!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees