This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the end of next month, United’s 747s will fly for the last time on a long-haul route. The occasion is bittersweet — while the airline’s latest aircraft offer an unquestionably superior in-flight product, especially in business class, there may never be another bird that matches the majesty and ardent following of the Queen of the Skies.
The significance of this retirement is not lost on United. When a charter 747 was scheduled to be ferried from Chicago to San Francisco, the airline instead organized a last-minute domestic flight, giving fans one last opportunity to fly this plane on the cheap, with low-cost paid tickets and wide-open Saver awards available in all three cabins.
And now, United is partnering with TPG to invite 50 readers (plus their guest) to the airline’s exclusive Family Day event in San Francisco, where the stars of the show will be not one, but two, 747-400s, in addition to a 787 Dreamliner and United’s latest jet, the 777-300ER (all subject to change). This event is exclusively for employees and their families and is not open to the public. In other words, unless you or a family member work for the airline, our giveaway is your one and only opportunity to join United’s most notable Family Day to date.
The event will kick off at San Francisco International Airport at 10:00am on Sunday, October 8, 2017, and will run through much of the day. Activities will include:
- Tours (and photo ops) featuring various United aircraft, including the 747-400
- Tour United’s maintenance facility at SFO
- Coffee and pastries for breakfast
- A full lunch, including various food and beverage options
- A cookout with United’s 777 BBQ grill
- Aircraft exhibits and displays, including class war birds
- A car show
- Opportunities to geek out with United executives and members of our team, including TPG and yours truly
Entries will be accepted on Twitter exclusively (you may use an existing account or sign up for a Twitter account here). To enter, you must write a retirement letter to the 747, be it in the form of text within a tweet, a screenshot of a paragraph of text (example here), a short video, a picture of a card and so on. Only entries that include the hashtag #TPG747 will be considered. Entries must be posted by 11:59pm Eastern Time on Wednesday, September 20, 2017.
Winners must be current United MileagePlus members (as of September 12, 2017) in order to attend. Additionally, you must be available all day on Sunday, October 8, and must be able to cover all transportation and related expenses to SFO. Additional terms and conditions apply, which you can read here.
The Contest is sponsored and administered by and is the sole responsibility of TPG. The Contest is in no way sponsored or administered by United Airlines, Inc. or MileagePlus Holdings, LLC. All inquiries related to this Contest should be directed to TPG.
I hope to see you geeking out over the soon-to-be-retired 747 at United’s Family Day!
This card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 50,000 after spending $3,000 within the first three months. TPG values United miles at 1.4 cents apiece, so this 50,000-mile sign-up bonus gets you $700 in value.
- Limited time offer - ends 3/15/18
- 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn