This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Airlines Boeing 737 on approach to Chicago O’Hare on Monday afternoon narrowly avoided a midair collision with what its crew said was a small aircraft, according to a Points Guy reader who was on the flight.
While about to complete flight UA246 from Vancouver (YVR) to Chicago O’Hare (ORD), the plane made a sudden evasive turn that had passengers “shrieking.” After safely landing at O’Hare, one of the pilots on UA246 came on the intercom to say it was a “split-second decision” to save the plane.
According to flight tracking site Flightradar24, UA246 landed at 3:02pm, ahead of its scheduled time of 3:14pm.
We were on approach in to O’Hare. It was a fairly bumpy approach but nothing out of the ordinary until the right wing suddenly dropped out of nowhere and we made an extreme right turn. Passengers on board shrieked and grabbed hold of the seats in front and their arm rests. Initially all of us thought something was wrong with the aircraft and perhaps the right engine had failed but after correcting the aircraft fast, we made a few more turns and evened out, the turbulence was still moderate throughout this. Everyone knew something was wrong but weren’t sure what.
After another ten minutes in the air, we landed and then arrived at the gate. A female voice came on the intercom, it was the pilot and she said something along the lines of “Ladies and Gentlemen, I wanted to take the opportunity to talk to you first because this will likely make the news. We had to make an evasive manoeuvre to avoid a collision with another small aircraft in the air. It appeared to be similar to a glider that wouldn’t have had geolocation technology onboard. I apologize for the manoeuvres we had to make but it was a split second decision….” I didn’t hear the rest of it but everyone on the plane began clapping and cheering at the pilot.
Everyone was a little shaken up by the experience and happy to be on the ground.
United flight 246 from Vancouver to O’Hare landed safely and all passengers deplaned normally after the pilots deviated from the aircraft’s flight path because they spotted a glider. We are following up with the FAA to do a complete review of what happened.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees