This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Maria left a path of devastation behind as it worked its way through the Caribbean last week. The storm hit Puerto Rico as a Category 4 hurricane the morning of September 20, causing widespread damage and power outages all over the island.
On Tuesday, Royal Caribbean announced it would cancel its upcoming Adventure of the Seas sailing so the ship could instead pick up evacuees and deliver much-needed supplies, including water, food, ice, medical supplies and other provisions to the island this week and next week. According to CNN, the ship, which can hold up to 3,800 passengers and is making relief stops in nearby St. Thomas and St. Croix, is also being used to transport evacuees to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Royal Caribbean’s not the only cruise line helping out in the Caribbean. Norwegian has pitched in with All Hands Volunteers, a disaster relief organization, to help with the rebuilding process, while Carnival has sent 11 of its own ships to offer relief, dropping off supplies for folks stranded in St. Maarten and Barbuda during its stops in St. Kitts and Antigua. As the recovery effort remains fluid and each island is working diligently to get back on its feet, the people of Puerto Rico are in dire need of assistance. Here’s how you can lend a hand.
H/T: CNN Money
Featured image courtesy of Royal Caribbean.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees