Miami Airport Terminal Evacuated As Police Shoot Man with Knife
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As if things weren’t bad enough in Miami with the extraordinarily dangerous Hurricane Irma bearing down on the city, the Miami International Airport (MIA) Terminal J was shut down for a “police-involved shooting” Thursday night.
While details are still emerging, reports indicate that the situation involved one suspect and the Miami-Dade Police. One report indicates that the suspect was a man armed with a knife and was attempting to get to the roof of the airport.
As of 10:24pm, the Miami-Dade Police confirmed that there was no further threat to the public:
The suspect is in custody and was transported to a nearby hospital. There’s no indication of the suspect’s condition at this time.
Scenes from the airport show that there was an orderly evacuation of the terminal:
Travelers departing MIA should check their flight status carefully before heading to the airport. Many flights have already been cancelled. The airport’s largest airline American Airlines is shutting down operations at the airport Friday night and cancelling all flights for the weekend. Over 2,400 American Airlines flights have been cancelled.
Also, the airport is reporting that all parking garages are full at this time. Travelers need to find alternative transportation to the airport.
Were you affected by the security situation in MIA tonight?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees