Miami Airport Terminal Evacuated As Police Shoot Man with Knife
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As if things weren’t bad enough in Miami with the extraordinarily dangerous Hurricane Irma bearing down on the city, the Miami International Airport (MIA) Terminal J was shut down for a “police-involved shooting” Thursday night.
While details are still emerging, reports indicate that the situation involved one suspect and the Miami-Dade Police. One report indicates that the suspect was a man armed with a knife and was attempting to get to the roof of the airport.
As of 10:24pm, the Miami-Dade Police confirmed that there was no further threat to the public:
The suspect is in custody and was transported to a nearby hospital. There’s no indication of the suspect’s condition at this time.
Scenes from the airport show that there was an orderly evacuation of the terminal:
Travelers departing MIA should check their flight status carefully before heading to the airport. Many flights have already been cancelled. The airport’s largest airline American Airlines is shutting down operations at the airport Friday night and cancelling all flights for the weekend. Over 2,400 American Airlines flights have been cancelled.
Also, the airport is reporting that all parking garages are full at this time. Travelers need to find alternative transportation to the airport.
Were you affected by the security situation in MIA tonight?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.