Buy AA Miles at 1 Cent Each Through This New Cardholder Pilot Program (Targeted)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Usually buying miles provides a terrible return on value. Standard rates for buying airline miles can exceed 3 cents per mile. Meanwhile, TPG valuations for most airline miles fall between 1.2 (Delta SkyMiles) and 1.9 (Alaska MileagePlan). Yet, it’s rare to see a mileage deal under 2.0 cents. At least until now.
Barclaycard is rolling out an “exclusive new pilot” to certain AAdvantage Aviator Mastercard cardholders that effectively allows AA mileage purchases for just 1 cent per mile. The “Flight Cents” program starts October 1 for selected cardholders who opt in by September 30. If you were targeted, you’ll have likely received an email from Barclaycard inviting you to the program. However, it can’t hurt to log in to your Barclaycard account to see if the offer is available there.
As laid out in one of these emails, here’s how the new program works:
Buy Coffee $3.10 Amount rounded up $.90 (90 cents)
Amount charged $4.00 Miles acquired* 90 (90 cents x 100% = 90 miles)
You would normally earn 3 miles on this purchase, but with Flight Cents, you’ll earn an additional 90 miles.
The email informs potential participants that they can set a “monthly round up threshold (up to $500).” At $500 per month at a cost of 1 cent each, this is an incredible opportunity to rack up 50,000 miles per month at a cheap cost. Over the program’s six-month run, you can accumulate up to 300,000 AAdvantage miles for just $3,000.
Note that a couple of other cardholders on Reddit noted that they received a similar offer with a significant difference: a “50%” replaced the “100%” in the formula. This means that their offer is to buy miles at a cost of 2 cents each instead of 1 cent each.
Unfortunately, this turns an exciting offer into one to pass on. 2 cents per mile is far greater than TPG’s valuation of AA miles at 1.4 cents each. If you’re interested in buying large amounts of miles at that rate, you’re better off waiting until the next AAdvantage buy miles promotion. Recent promotions have dropped the price down to just 1.72 cents per mile. With that said, this “Flight Cents” program lets you accumulate smaller amounts at better rate than is usually available through promotions.
The downside of this program: You’re putting spending on a card that doesn’t provide a great return. Purchases on the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red — and downgraded Silver version — card only earn 1 AAdvantage mile per dollar spent (1.4 cents of value). Based on TPG’s valuations, you’d do much better spending on the Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points = 3.8 cents per dollar spent; on the first $50,000 per year; then 1x thereafter) or Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5x Ultimate Rewards points = 3.3 cents per dollar spent). So, you’d want to limit the spending on this card to minor purchases, preferably ending in $.01.
H/T: Reddit user jamild
Featured image by Saul Loeb via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees