Up to 100,000 Bonus Miles and 10% Off When Buying AA Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Airlines has been making itself known for AAtrocious AAward AAvailability on its own flights recently. It seems that the airline has gotten the message and has re-launched its cheapest ever buy miles promotion, letting you boost your account for as little as 1.72 cents per mile.
This offer is strikingly similar to the offer that just ended June 30, giving us further indication that AA understands AAdvantage miles’ reduced value. Now through July 31, you’ll get up to 67% bonus miles and save 10% off when you purchase AAdvantage miles.
The regular price for buying miles from American is 3.17 cents per mile ($29.50 per 1,000 miles plus a 7.5% Federal Excise Tax). With this promotion, your price will drop to 1.72 cents per mile if you max out this offer.
You’ll get the maximum 67% bonus and 10% off — netting the 1.72 cents per mile purchase rate — when you purchase 150,000 miles. But, even at just 11,000 miles, you’ll get 23% bonus miles and 10% off — dropping the rate to 2.5 cents per mile.
Here are the sweet spots of this promotion’s bonus chart:
- 11,000 + 2,500 bonus miles for $344 total (2.55 cents per mile)
- 21,000 + 5,000 bonus miles for $629 total (2.42 cents per mile)
- 51,000 + 15,000 bonus miles for $1,486 total (2.25 cents per mile)
- 76,000 + 27,500 bonus miles for $2,199 total (2.12 cents per mile)
- 101,000 + 45,000 bonus miles for $2,913 total (1.99 cents per mile)
- 126,000 + 70,000 bonus miles for $3,626 total (1.85 cents per mile)
- 150,000 + 100,000 bonus miles for $4,311 total (1.72 cents per mile)
Still… Should You Buy AA Miles?
TPG’s reduced valuation of AA miles is 1.4 cents per mile, but we know that some of you have even lower valuations. However, while AA’s award availability is bad, we hesitated lowering our valuation of AAdvantage miles for a while as there are still some ways to get great value.
But, partner awards are where you’re going to find the most value — from first class on Alaska Airlines to lie-flat business class to South America for 60,000 miles round-trip. If you maximize this promotion, you’ll be paying ~$1,200 one-way for Qatar’s amazing business class from the US to Doha (DOH) or beyond. If you can find availability, you can score QSuite from Doha (DOH) to London (LHR) for just $731 in miles.
It’s obviously better if you’re able to generate these points and miles for free using credit cards. And, if you haven’t gotten them yet, the 60,000 sign-up bonus is still available for both the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard and the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard. However, if you’re ineligible to get the bonus on these cards, buying miles through this promotion can make sense if you’re able to redeem the miles for high-value options.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
How to Buy
To take advantage of the promotion, follow these steps:
- Visit American’s Buy, Gift, and Share Miles page.
- Select Buy Miles or Gift Miles (the promotion is not valid on sharing miles).
- Log in to your AAdvantage account.
- Add your credit card details and click Continue.
- Review the information, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Pay Now to finalize the purchase.
- Your miles should post to the designated account immediately.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing American miles apply to this promotion, including the following:
- Miles may be purchased in increments of 1,000 miles up to a maximum of 150,000 miles per year.
- Transactions are nonrefundable and non-reversible.
- Purchased miles don’t count toward elite status or Million Miler status.
American Airlines processes mileage transfers and purchases directly (instead of going through Points.com), so this spending should count as airfare. That means you’ll earn bonus points if you use a card with a travel or airfare category bonus. By far the best option in this category is The Platinum Card from American Express, which now earns 5x on airfare, and during American’s December miles promotion, several TPG readers reported receiving this category bonus on their purchases. So that could make this a really great deal.
Other top credit cards to consider include the Chase Sapphire Reserve, with 3x Ultimate Rewards points on general travel; the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, with 3x Membership Rewards points on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card and the Citi Prestige, with 3x ThankYou points on air travel; and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card with 2x Ultimate Rewards points on general travel.
Are you going to take AAdvantage of this buy miles promo?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees