Elon Musk Shares Video Of Hyperloop Speeding Through Tunnels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2017 has been a big year for the Hyperloop; recently, Hyperloop One completed a successful test run in an enclosed tube and unveiled a futuristic pod that passengers could travel in. But Hyperloop One is not the only group trying to develop the technology originally conceived by Elon Musk. Hundreds of student groups have been working on plans that could shoot pods through vacuum-sealed tubes at speeds up to 700 mph.
On Sunday, students from around the globe came to show off their Hyperloop plans and put them to the test all in front of the big man himself, Elon Musk. The Hyperloop Pod competition II was held in Hawthorne, California at Musk’s Space X headquarters. After all the teams competed, WARR Hyperloop was named the winner. Musk shared a video of the team’s pod in action. WARR is composed by German students from the technical University of Munich — and it’s pretty incredible to see how fast the pod can go and how quickly it can reach high speeds.
The pod topped out at 201 mph, which is currently faster than what any of the other Hyperloop companies have displayed. Musk also tweeted that it may even be possible to reach supersonic speeds and that when passengers actually use the Hyperloop, they wont experience the light strobe effect seen in the video.
Musk also added that SpaceX will be testing its own Hyperloop “pusher sled” this week in Hawthorne.
Featured image by Kate Allen/Toronto Star/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.