Elon Musk Shares Video Of Hyperloop Speeding Through Tunnels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
2017 has been a big year for the Hyperloop; recently, Hyperloop One completed a successful test run in an enclosed tube and unveiled a futuristic pod that passengers could travel in. But Hyperloop One is not the only group trying to develop the technology originally conceived by Elon Musk. Hundreds of student groups have been working on plans that could shoot pods through vacuum-sealed tubes at speeds up to 700 mph.
On Sunday, students from around the globe came to show off their Hyperloop plans and put them to the test all in front of the big man himself, Elon Musk. The Hyperloop Pod competition II was held in Hawthorne, California at Musk’s Space X headquarters. After all the teams competed, WARR Hyperloop was named the winner. Musk shared a video of the team’s pod in action. WARR is composed by German students from the technical University of Munich — and it’s pretty incredible to see how fast the pod can go and how quickly it can reach high speeds.
The pod topped out at 201 mph, which is currently faster than what any of the other Hyperloop companies have displayed. Musk also tweeted that it may even be possible to reach supersonic speeds and that when passengers actually use the Hyperloop, they wont experience the light strobe effect seen in the video.
Musk also added that SpaceX will be testing its own Hyperloop “pusher sled” this week in Hawthorne.
Featured image by Kate Allen/Toronto Star/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees