Join TPG and Red Ventures in Donating to Help Puerto Rico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Click here to donate to our fellow citizens in Puerto Rico who desperately need our help.
Last week, Hurricane Maria left the island of Puerto Rico completely devastated — the storm knocked out the island’s fragile power grid, and electricity has not come back for the vast majority of people. It’s hard to put into words the magnitude of the damage to the US territory in the Caribbean.
— Ricardo Rossello (@ricardorossello) September 22, 2017
Since the entire power and telecommunications grid was knocked out, residents on the island had no way of contacting family and friends on the mainland US — and the recovery effort got off to a slow start. Now, however, various organizations, government agencies and the military are mobilizing to get vital supplies and support to the island, as the situation is becoming more dire by the minute. Thousands of people — in a territory with 3.5 million US citizens — are at serious risk of losing their life.
— National Guard (@USNationalGuard) September 28, 2017
You can help in this effort, too. The Points Guy‘s soon-to-be parent company, Red Ventures, which on July 3 announced its intention to acquire our current parent company, Bankrate, Inc., has set up a webpage for a matching campaign with the goal of raising $10 million to help Puerto Rico. Red Ventures CEO Ric Elias Ventures shared this statement on Wednesday as part of creating a Rebuild Puerto Rico fund page on YOUCARING:
“It’s been one week since Hurricane Maria hit, and we are just now seeing the images of a tragedy unlike anything our beautiful island has ever seen. Puerto Rico is my childhood, it is my home, and it is where many of my friends and family live today. Words cannot describe how it feels to see it destroyed beyond recognition. Now is the time for us to use our hearts, our humanity, and our resources to help. So many people need it desperately. My goal is to raise $10 million dollars for relief and rebuild efforts. I will personally match every dollar raised on this page up to $5 million dollars. 100% of what we raise will go directly to relief/rebuild efforts. Much of our public health and power infrastructure has been destroyed by the storm itself and what little is left continues to degrade due to ongoing floods. The damage is historic – worse than we feared – and the full extent of it has yet to be measured. Our top priority is to get funds quickly and then make sure they have the greatest possible impact on peoples’ lives. We’re working to identify the most immediate needs and getting relief to vulnerable populations. After that, the focus will shift to catalyze long-term solutions, and ultimately, to help rebuild. If you’re able to give, any amount helps and is greatly appreciated. If you cannot give, then please share. Please help us show our friends, family members, and fellow citizens in Puerto Rico that even though we’re miles apart, we will stand together. They are not alone.”
If you’re able to, you can donate by credit card or directly from your bank account. Please click here to donate, share or read more about this relief effort.
— Ric Elias (@RicElias) September 27, 2017
TPG has donated $50,000 to the campaign, and several other staffers have donated as well. We hope that our huge community of readers can greatly help our fellow citizens in Puerto Rico begin to rebuild their lives.
Featured image by The Washington Post / Contributor via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees